A.R.K.'s Coral Share Program

tank o tang

Thread Lurker
This is the A.R.K. coral sharing program. It is the local version of dbtc. The rules are very simple and hopefully everyone can follow them. You must be an ARK member in good standing (attends meetings, active on the ARK forum here, etc) to participate.

You basically offer frags to other club members for free with the understanding

Any future frag from this coral must be offered back to the coral sharing program (if there are no takers from ARK members within 3 weeks of posting availability it may then be sold).

If persons who give corals loose their colony recipients of any past frags will be expected to offer frags from them immediately upon readiness (great insurance policy for those who don't keep multiple tanks).

If you for any reason have to take down your tank ALL corals received from this program MUST be given back to the program.

Remember this is a Coral SHARING Program, when taking a frag it would be nice to offer a frag of something to the program, but is not required. Corals of all sorts should be offered (SPS, LPS, Softie, Shroom, Etc.). If there are multiple people interested in a coral offered the person offering the frag decides who they think can give it the best care and who receives it. But I'm sure over time there will be plenty to go around.

Please post all offers here:

To start the program off I have:

1 blue zoa frag

2 tri-color acro frags (tan body w/ purple tips and green polyps

1 green zoa w/ yellow mouths zoa frag

Fantastic idea for the club. Count me in.!

Im away from home for the weekend, but Ill offer up some of my sweet flourescent candy canes, some nice thick birdsnest, and a couple of acros (red millie almost ready to frag) a purple tip acro, fireball monti, green pokerstar monti (slow grower for me), hawaian palys, etc I could do... will get exact names once Im back.

Tank -- you know Im looking for more blue colors for my tank, so Ill do a swap with you for sure! If you want to come over, you can pick what you want a piece of from me.

I like this idea. Very very cool.

Sounds outstanding. Great for me 'cuz...

1) I'm in new and need frags.
2) Having a nano, if I don't screw up, I hope to be running out of room before too very long, and will need a good outlet for frags.

But I do have questions:

1) Where is the ARK forum?
2) Who decided "good standing"
3) By membership, do you mean an active participant in the ARK program within Aquarium Reefkeepers of Southwest CT? Or is there a separate ARK club that one must join?

Thanks.

Scolley,

This is our forum for ARK. Being in "good standing " means that you should be a regular attendee to our monthly meetings and participate in board discussions here in the forum. Person offering frags can make the call. This is intended to keep the freeloaders that never come to meeting and are only around for free stuf away from the program. By membership it means you must be an active participant in the club itself. Just using ARK instead of typing out Aquarium Reef Keepers of Southwest CT.

Cool. Got it. I wasn't aware that ARK was the abbreviation for this club, and thus got confused. It all makes sense now. Thanks.

That said, the Coral Share Program rules are pretty important. Any way to make this a sticky?

This sounds good, I will be in. I have some stuff that needs to be trimmed, and (as long as the program works) it sounds like it would be a good insurance policy if one's tank crashes.

I think we should have some kind of list of where the corals go, so that if your tank crashes you can contact the people to get frags to re-start your tank.

Good idea to keep a list in the event of a crash Obi. (one will have so many other things on their mind to get back up and running other than tracking down who their frag went to).

Tank o Tang: you know Im looking for more 'blue' in my tank. blue zoas sound nice or anything else. Im sure we'll swap a few things! :)
Pretty much anytime after this Wed. Im available to get together

Obi, that is a very good idea.

Wheel, I have some blue zoas with your name on them. Should I just bring them to the meeting?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15350263#post15350263 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Obi-dad
I think we should have some kind of list of where the corals go, so that if your tank crashes you can contact the people to get frags to re-start your tank.
I would suggest that people who receive a frag post it in this thread, thus providing a permanent record. This thread is already a sticky. What better place.

IMO they should post:
  1. What kind of frag they got
  2. Who gave them the frag
  3. When they got the frag
  4. Any additional, relevant info (size, color, etc.)
    [/list=1]

I'm suggesting that the recipient post it here, because it's like writing a receipt - the recipient saying "I accept and acknowledge the gift".

As such, I'll start...

What kind of frag? - Zoa's
    Who gave it to me - Tank o Tang ;)
    When I got the frag - Saturday, July 11, 2009
    Any additional info - it was around 20 polyps of a brilliant blue variety, that were immediately open in my tank, and have remained that way since. Their health seems outstanding. :)

I would like to say THANKS, and list the following:

From Mike33, I traded some zoas for a green tipped hammer coral.

From MNTC, while I was there to pick up a frag he donated a blue tip stag and a sps that I haven't i.d.'ed.

Again thank you.

I will be participating, I just haven't been around to attend the meetings - summer is way too short here in the northeast.

I'm overdue in posting some more bounty from this program. Sorry for the delay...

What kind of frag? - blue zoas, green zoas, red people eaters (rpe's), tri-color acro, and a green slimer
Who gave it to me - Tank o Tang
When I got the frag - Saturday, July 25, 2009?
Any additional info - I may be in trouble if I've got to replace that nice little tri-color acro. :( I didn't mount it... trying to see what place would be best for it in my tank. And now it is missing. With it not permanently affixed, I'm sure my serpent star knocked it over during its nocturnal foraging. Which is to say, it's still in my tank, but goodness knows where... and not doing very well I'll wager.

Everything else looks great though!

Got together with Wheel of Time today. I received the following corals:

NEON GREEN candy cane ( can't stress the neon green enough)

Purple Birdsnest

Frogspawn

Orange Cap

Thanks a million. All corals are appreciated, and hopefully I can frag some stuff in the near future for everyone.

Got some AWESOME frags from tank o tang for the coral share program:

Tubbs Blue and PPE zoas
several Tri-color acro cuttings
metalic green acro
shaggy seriatopora

Let's keep up the sharing -- great 'insurance' policy if your tank ever crashes. look on ctars forum for several recent crashes due to heat. (just terrible) this coral sharing means you will get your livestock back if the worst (heaven forbid) ever truly does happen.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15301870#post15301870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kdocimo90
How do you become an ARK member? Is it the same as CTARS?

yes, how do i become an ARK member.

Back