a whole lot of questions

viruzjk

i was wondering how much flow i will need to get for my 150 gallon bare bottom tank. i plan on keeping everything up to sps. i was wondering what kind of powerheads and how many. i also saw at the lfs the guy t'd off his return pump so he had a bunch of nossels hiddin in the live rock that was also working like powerheads. has anyone elso done this? and also i still need to buy the protein skimmer. the one the tank came with isn't working. it was a berlin protien skimmer for a tank up to 250 gallons. is there anything i could do with that instead of throwing it away? please keep in mind with all these questions im asking im not rich...... but i do want quality :) thanks in advance.

what exactly doesn't work on the protien skimmer. i mean is it the pump, or does it just not skim properly. i don't really know what to tell you about the water flow. i would plumb the ruturn from your sump to benifit each side of the tank. you can see how mine is in my gallery. i have the return that makes good flow plus i have a power head on each side of the tank at the bottom. your tank being a 150 i would buy mabye 4 or 6 pretty strong power heads and put one on each side and the rest in the back of the tank pointing twords the front and up. i hope this helps you out man.

alright to start with the t'd off section in the live rock is not from the return its from a closed loop its just another way of creating massive flow in a tank without the use of ugly power heads i personally love closed loop systems they are wonderful if done right.

second off the best thing to do with that skimmer is to make a calcium reactor of decorative coffee table leg outof it, it is crapppppy, you need to upgrade to a good skimmer in my opinion if your going to possibly do sps you need good water quality so dont cheap in my opinion the best are the euro reefs but octopus and ASM are also good choices.

Glad you mentioned that Toff is for a closed loop....not return from sump.
Off subject a little,but I just bought a used ASM and the web page for ASM now sends you to octopus skimmers.

thanks for the help im gonna do some research on the closed loop system. ill check out the skimmers as well.

Back