A Wooden Stand Journey (Planning and Building)

no they will transition the load to their points of contact. they are only used to help prevent racking, and screw strips for the braces that allow the load to rest on the bottom frame

no they will transition the load to their points of contact. they are only used to help prevent racking, and screw strips for the braces that allow the load to rest on the bottom frame

Ok, I follow that. So now the stand is weighing down on the internal post and this gets transferred straight to the floor, which is not good, because it's a small area, not a large area of the whole frame? Is this correct?

Now, having said that, the frame is still getting the weight of the tank since it is on the same level as the internal post, isn't it?

The weight of the tank will be on those four internal corner posts instead of being on the bottom frame of the stand. I suppose if the bottom of the internal corner posts are flush with the frame, the weight will be split between the frame and the posts.

The weight of the tank will be on those four internal corner posts instead of being on the bottom frame of the stand. I suppose if the bottom of the internal corner posts are flush with the frame, the weight will be split between the frame and the posts.

sure, but you would then have to worry that the floor is perfectly level so as not to allow one of the internal posts to transfer more weight.

Stand Looks good I agree with the others here the middle vertical braces are not needed for support just to make it more ridged. On my stand I did beefed of corners and 2x6 top all the way around so that i did not even need the middle vertical braces, and its rock solid!!

Stand Looks good I agree with the others here the middle vertical braces are not needed for support just to make it more ridged. On my stand I did beefed of corners and 2x6 top all the way around so that i did not even need the middle vertical braces, and its rock solid!!

we are not talking about the middle, unless you mean the ones inside the top and bottom frames

Everyone, especially Redman... I think I now fully understand what everyone's been talking about and I appreciate your input and feedback. I've certainly learned something new.

Another question:
if I do the top frame out of 2x6, 72 x 26 footprint for a 180g tank would the centre post be required or not?

according to Rocketeninger the guy who started that thread i linked, no you would not. when i build the stand for my 72x18x23 125g tank i am planing on 2x6 top frame and no center support.

according to Rocketeninger the guy who started that thread i linked, no you would not. when i build the stand for my 72x18x23 125g tank i am planing on 2x6 top frame and no center support.

He lists 125-150 range as allowable. My tank is going wider, not higher and that adds extra 30 gallons. Wonder if that could make a difference.

i personally think the 2x6 will be fine but if you are worried you could go with a 2x8 top frame with no center leg

If I build a stand to easily hold at least 5,250 lbs. for a 96x48x30 tank, correct me if I am wrong on any of the following:

Build bottom frame out of 2x6
Add L corner legs
Add bottom frame cross supports out of 2x4 flush with bottom
Add top frame out of 2x6
Add top frame cross supports out of 2x4 flush on top
Add vertical supports with 2" to spare on top and bottom
Add inner frame in bottom frame
Add 1/2" plywood in bottom for equipment
Add 1/2" plywood on top for tank

Would this work??? Not trying to jack the thread, just trying to understand the concepts.

Last edited:
A Wooden Stand Journey (Planning and Building)

Well if you read RE's thread that I linked..... You can do 2x4 for the bottom frame. Not sure about the need for the internal frame that you are talking about. At 96 inches you might need to go to a 2x8 or add in center supports front and back. Only need ply wood on top if your tank is rimless or acrylic

The tank will be acrylic. I was thinking 2x6 on bottom for a "tray". The inner frame on the bottom would be to support the edges of the plywood. I was planning on at least 1 vertical support on each side and 4 for back and 3 or 4 for front. Should it still be 2x8?

Honestly I don't know for sure. I am not an engineer follow the link and go to the split threads end and ask there for the right answer

Back