? about gfo

Nina51

biggliest cofveve champ
Premium Member
expecting delivery of my reactor tomorrow. is there anything i need to know before i get this thing set up and going? will running gfo have any impact on my water parameters?

If by water parameters you mean alk/ca/mg then no it shouldn't affect them. If you are starting gfo because your phosphates are higher than you want you can start by adding 1/2 the recommended dose. This helps to have a gradual reduction, as some have reported corals being "shocked" by a rapid change in phosphate levels.

The only other gfo tips I have are rinse it well, keep the flow low so the surface is just moving, and put the outlet on a chunk of filter floss for a couple hours/overnight after you change it (helps catch fines and/or gunk from the hose that is dislodged from cleaning).

Hth,

- Ian

I like to change my GFO during a water change. I run the first gallon or so from the new GFO and carbon in the reactor into a five gallon bucket. That seems to catch any loose stuff/discolored water. Also, as mentioned above, I give the GFO a quick pre-rinse before adding to the reactor. Keep the reactor flow just enough to make the surface of the GFO bubbling, kind of like lava in a hot cauldron of a volcano.

Joe

You can also use phosban. Put it in a fine mesh bag and rinse gently in RO water and run like carbon. Does not need to tumble. Just slower flow.

joel, that's what i've tried to do a couple of times but it isn't working so i ordered the reactor. hopefully, it will help.

If you are starting gfo because your phosphates are higher than you want you can start by adding 1/2 the recommended dose. This helps to have a gradual reduction, as some have reported corals being "shocked" by a rapid change in phosphate levels.

The only other gfo tips I have are rinse it well, keep the flow low so the surface is just moving, and put the outlet on a chunk of filter floss for a couple hours/overnight after you change it (helps catch fines and/or gunk from the hose that is dislodged from cleaning).

Hth,

- Ian

This.

GFO bags

GFO bags

I tried the GFO bags, and they did not help at all.

Got the reactor, and it took 2-3 weeks, but it really did the job.

I used the ROWA media. Ran it in the sink until the outflow is clear.

Gina et al. Misunderstand. I meant phosban in a bag run in a reactor. Yes the water needs to flow through it.

ALso suggest googling the assembly instructions if they don't come with the reactor: they have a diagram. Order of the sponges and plates is not intuitive.

IME using the bags is a no-go. Never works. The reactor can take a few months, and if it's not making a dent after a month, change the medium, and change it each month until you see a marked, significant reduction in problem. Phosban doesn't change color or indicate in any way when it's reached saturation, so to avoid spinning your wheels for several months with saturated medium, do the monthly changeouts. Less grief that way.

Back