AC jr. vs. reefkeeper 2?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6893945#post6893945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raskal311
ohh I didn't know that people monitor ph in the reactor. Most people only use a controller with the probe in the sump. The controller will only shut off the CO2 reg if the PH in the tank itself is off. Does either the RC2 or Aquacontroller Jr. has the option for two PH probe?

I have a Korallin C1502 reactor how would one put a probe inside of it in the first place? If your only checking the PH of the effluent couldn't you just collect a small cup of it and test it with your PH controller when needed?

The RK2 only has a single pH probe.
I use my Pinpoint pH controller to monitor and control the effluent of my reactor. I run my effluent into a small cup that overflows into my sump with the ph probe in it. The hi/low settings are set between 6.6-6.8. The controller shuts of the co2 when it gets below 6.6 and turns it back on when it gets to 6.8. I got the bubble count and effluent rate just right now where it rarely shuts off, meaning the pH of my effluent is usually between my setpoints.
I haven't had any pH issues with the tank using this setup (I have pinpoint pH monitor for the tank ph). Tank's pH swing is between 8.1-8.2.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6894520#post6894520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raskal311
no they can't you would need a aqua controller 2 or 3 for that.

Actually only the 3 have a build in web interface, the 2 could do it also but you need to serial it to a computer and have iis running.

yeah I know and from what I know thats the only diff between the two. But if your going ot be spending that much on the 2 may as well get the 3 :D how is yours working out?

well jmo but they are both good products. I've been comparing them both. The only draw back that both dont have is the data log options to view in the computer. This is a plus for me since I can look at what my tank is doing when Iam not home. Now if the AC3 was cheaper I would go for the 3 or the pro for the same reason that I can hook it up to my dsl line and look at how my tank is doing. I may see if I can get some one to start a groub buy for us, but I have to find some one first.

I haven't checked into this but I don't believe the AC units have ports for multiple pH probes. Personally I just monitor the tank pH and have my controller programmed to react to either high or low set points. I don't monitor the reactors internal pH, for one because my Korallin doesn't have a place for a probe, and two because I set it and forget it until the next time I change out my media. The below commands in my controller prevent my tank from getting nuked.

For instance, you could set a command to state:
If pH < 8.00 Then CO2 OFF
If pH > 8.06 Then CO2 ON
Max Change 010 M Then CO2 OFF

These commands assume that you have set the name of the control module for your solenoid to "CO2". The first command turns off your CO2 solenoid when your tank pH drops. The second command turns it back on above a certain set point. While the third command builds in a 10 minute pause to keep the solendoid from clicking on/off too often.

At least this is the syntax for AquaControllers. I'm using the ACII but this is the same for all the AC models.

Back