Acclimation Question

Ammonia build-up in shipping water only applies when the animal has been in the bag for a while (say 12-24 hrs). For locally bought fish, ammonia buildup is not an issue. Regardless, I'm unclear why the above suggestion mitigates ammonia buildup? Since you are still using the shipping water, and it's exposed to the air (thus converting any ammonium to ammonia) I fail to see why it's any better. If you must adjust for salinity, have some ammonia neutralizer on hand.

Best approach, without exception, is to use a quarantine tank and adjust it to the salinity of the incoming water.

This was sort of my thoughts too. I don't see the use of Prime mentioned much in SW, where it's pretty much a staple in FW. I was also wondering how ammonia could build up so fast between 30 minutes to 120 minutes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most I've done is 1.021 to 1.025, and that only took 20-30 minutes after temperature acclamation. I was a little worried, but all is fine.

This was sort of my thoughts too. I don't see the use of Prime mentioned much in SW, where it's pretty much a staple in FW. I was also wondering how ammonia could build up so fast between 30 minutes to 120 minutes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that it's 'building up', rather it's already built up during the shipping. PH in a closed bag tends to be low, so the ammonia exists as less toxic ammonium. As soon as the bag is opened and exposed to the air, the ph quickly rises and the ammonium converts to toxic ammonia. It's only a problem when the fish has been in the bag for a while and has been breathing and excreting.

My earlier point was that the container you put the fish and shipping water into us irrelevant, same water = same problem.

Funny, I never used prime during my FW days. Ph is lower thus ammonia much less of a problem.

It's not that it's 'building up', rather it's already built up during the shipping. PH in a closed bag tends to be low, so the ammonia exists as less toxic ammonium. As soon as the bag is opened and exposed to the air, the ph quickly rises and the ammonium converts to toxic ammonia. It's only a problem when the fish has been in the bag for a while and has been breathing and excreting.

ca1ore is exactly right which is why I made the statement about the death in the bag issue.
This is part of the question from the OP "my question is ONLY if you purchase from a LFS." which is why I made the statement in my first post, way too much info in this thread which does not pertain to the OP's question.

ca1ore is exactly right which is why I made the statement about the death in the bag issue.
This is part of the question from the OP "my question is ONLY if you purchase from a LFS." which is why I made the statement in my first post, way too much info in this thread which does not pertain to the OP's question.

Right.....I was just trying to see if anyone out there has dripped a fish they got from their LFS from low salinity to high salinity....like below 1.020 to their salinity of 1.024-1.025 and the fish is still alive and thriving. Also....to add to my post....what would be t be symptoms of a acclimation gone wrong....like raising salinity too fast etc?

Back