Accumulated Detritus in Sump

55ocin

Hello reefers, is there any negative impact in removing detritus in sumps? I'm thinking about vacuuming all the accumulated detritus inside the entire chamber using a wet dry vacuum. Will there be any ammonia spikes or ill effects by doing this? Please help and chime in. Thank you and you all be safe.

naa i drain out that nasty sump every few months.

i make sure to shut off all flow and really clean the sump. so the detritus doesnt flow back up

naa i drain out that nasty sump every few months.

i make sure to shut off all flow and really clean the sump. so the detritus doesnt flow back up

Thank you good to know, I have not touched that part of the sump in years. It probably has about 1" thick detritus in it lol. Could this be a nítrate factory if left untouched or not really?

Thank you good to know, I have not touched that part of the sump in years. It probably has about 1” thick detritus in it lol. Could this be a nítrate factory if left untouched or not really?

it's definitely a nitrate factory. I used a wetdry vac and vac'd it all out. specially the section where i kept those marine blocks and the fuge section. gotta be an inch or two of poo and block dusts. i also use a pump and blow the entire rock structure to get those detritus off. filter sock at the end to catch them

it's definitely a nitrate factory. I used a wetdry vac and vac'd it all out. specially the section where i kept those marine blocks and the fuge section. gotta be an inch or two of poo and block dusts. i also use a pump and blow the entire rock structure to get those detritus off. filter sock at the end to catch them

Thx Monkie, that's what I'm thinking 👍🏼

Hello reefers, is there any negative impact in removing detritus in sumps? I'm thinking about vacuuming all the accumulated detritus inside the entire chamber using a wet dry vacuum. Will there be any ammonia spikes or ill effects by doing this? Please help and chime in. Thank you and you all be safe.
Wet dry is the right approach. If it's an inch thick, make sure you got it all before starting it back up.

Wet dry is the right approach. If it's an inch thick, make sure you got it all before starting it back up.

Yessir, I don't want to leave any. I'm just worried about any beneficial bacteria that I would be removing, if any at all?

Yessir, I don't want to leave any. I'm just worried about any beneficial bacteria that I would be removing, if any at all?

You got all your need on your rocks and other surfaces. what you are removing now is a ticking timebomb in what we call "old tank syndrome". Like you, I run sockless and it forces me to do the same maintenance.

You got all your need on your rocks and other surfaces. what you are removing now is a ticking timebomb in what we call "old tank syndrome". Like you, I run sockless and it forces me to do the same maintenance.

I actually run socks and I replace it weekly. You're right about old tank syndrome, this tank has been running for 15 years and I have never once remove the detritus in the sump. Could my rocks be leaching out nitrates too?

Just to chime in...i had some serious algae problems and i started siphoning out the crap in my sump and it did wonders for my tank.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Hmmm maybe I should clean out my rear sump area in my Red Sea 130d ? Just one thing I'm worried about is syphoning out the pods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting approaches.

I am a naturalist, so rather than cleaning out my sump, I treat it like our oceans and add trash and waste to it and then pretend to be dumbfounded at any issues that arise.

Interesting approaches.

I am a naturalist, so rather than cleaning out my sump, I treat it like our oceans and add trash and waste to it and then pretend to be dumbfounded at any issues that arise.

Still laughing at that one..."you want it to look like a natural reef, throw a diaper and trash in your tank" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Back