Acro eating flat worms?

shiftline

I got some free coral from a shutdown that's potentially infected with acro eating flat worms. I dipped all the coral in coralRX. Then put them in QT in a 5g tub with a heater a power head. I plan to dip them again in a few days. Is there any other way to rid any potential Pests?

a20a707c4f3554ec1264af6c3c50bcc8.jpg

08ca84c13b6fc9ca54be3c523625a4bb.jpg

Best way to cure flatworms from what I understand is a weekly Bater dip regiment for 8 weeks in quarantine that way you catch the babies as they hatch. I would be concerned such a small unstable water volume would keep the acros alive that long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not worth the risk, throw them out.

If you really want to keep them, I would just frag the tips off, mount them. Isolate them. aefw tend to be on the base of acros.

it was my understanding AEFW stuck to thin skinned acros. Did the tank the came from have LED lights? have you got any close up photos to share. AEFW is super is to see, its boom yup thats bites, and those are eggs. Also i agree, chop off the dead parts regardless, metal clippers will do that fine or enough thumb pressure. take what is alive, and monitor, if you do not find eggs or bite marks, then it could have been something besides pests.

Best way to cure flatworms from what I understand is a weekly Bater dip regiment for 8 weeks in quarantine that way you catch the babies as they hatch. I would be concerned such a small unstable water volume would keep the acros alive that long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also more worried about the corals' survival potential in that little tank.
Adult aefw will be killed after one good dip and shake in the proper concentration of coral rx or Bayer- Bayer is my poison of choice..
It it the eggs that will not be damaged by the dip. Eggs are always laid at the base of the coral, right where the living tissue ends.
If you want to remove all the eggs, you must clip away ALL non living tissue.. Inspect the frags for dead spots in the branches, there could be eggs in there, as well..
Your pieces of birds nest don't need to be qted as they don't get aefws.
I have seen aefws on both smooth skinned more polyped corals..

The recession of the green birdsnest makes me think Alk spike rather than AEFW.

I take more risks than most but I might cut all dead areas out of the acros, inspect with a bright flashlight and magnifying glass or string reading glasses, dip, inspect again, and add to tank. What would worry me the most is the bush type acros where it's really hard to see in the branches. I would chop that up into easy to see smaller frags.

Acro eating flat worms?

Don't worry about the non-Acropora. If they are true aefw they will not attack birdsnest of any type.

Do you have any existing Acropora in your display? If so, keep them in a separate qt system and dip once a week in bayer until you no longer see fw or eggs. Minimum 8 weeks, if I remember correctly....

If it were me, I would just toss them in the trash. Not worth the risk IMO.

Acro eating flat worms?

I have no idea what it was or is but that was her guess. She was shutting down the tank and said they were free or going in the garbage so I figured what the heck. I'll cut off the dead and glue to a new chunk of rock and monitor. No idea if they will live in the little 5g but if they die then no real loss as they are free. Monday I'll give it a water change and frag off the good bits

Back