acropora with empty polyps

StarF

i have ben having a few odd isues with some of my acropora corals. Some of them are really pale, and it seems their polyps are gone, and where they are supposed to be are just empty. What can cause this? and can they recover or are they a gooner? they still have skin, this happened a month or so ago. Any idea on what can cause this? would a sudden rise in po4 do it? can they recover?

yup dont se any, and no aefw, and no bite marks from them. The corals affected has 3 acropora crabs in them aswell.. (the bandit one)..

this was how it looked a week ago

5669323689_2db4634599_b.jpg

there are still polyps here, they are not out though. this is how it looks now:

5691328484_ed57afde45_b.jpg

5690754995_c42de243da_b.jpg

have any one seen anything like this before? what can do this kind of damage? the only thing i done, that could had done this, was overdose rowa mabye.. but i dident even over dose it, just 50g for 350l.

any way short:

can it recover or should i toss it.
has anyone seen anything like it? and what can cause it?

i got 3 corals that are affected, the rest seem ok, just a bit pale, but they still have polyps out.

Next I would check the Alk often. An alk swing can do that or a temp swing which is common this time of year.

They can come back and I wouldn't toss it. My GARF Bonsai hadn't shown any polyps for about 6 months(and yes I checked at various times throughout the night as well) then all of the sudden it was like nothing ever happened and they were all out and swaying in the current. So leave it be and try to keep everything as stable as possible.

i have a purple acro that i got 3 months ago. its still brown and i see sometimes a few tenticles coming out but it have never clored up or openned. been in tank for 3-4 months now. but i think it will come back one day. i think its ****ed at me coz mag was 1600+ at time of placement and tank went through some changes but its stable now. keeping fingers clrossed

Next I would check the Alk often. An alk swing can do that or a temp swing which is common this time of year.

i got a ghl computer, the temp havent ben above 29c.

i measure the alk every day or every other day, and keep a book. It has always ben stable around 8 - 8.5.

i will keep it, and see what happens. hopefully it will recover, i just find it odd, that its so pale aswell. its almost light blue.

How long have the affected corals been in the tank? My thoughts are to try raising the alk a bit to see if that helps. You may have been functioning on the low end of alk levels and if your test kit is slightly off in its reading, you might be really low.

Back