acrylic polish

jeffb3t

For those of you who like to DIY. I found a nice polish that does wonders for taking out scratches or at least hiding them. I have been working on sanding down a 55 for some time now. The polishing kit I was using consists of 1500, 2000. 3000. 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit sand paper. Well, after a few hours I got bored and ran out of beer at the 3000 grit stage. The tank sat for a couple months before I went down to the new kanahide store at kadena circle to check it out. I found a scratch remover polish for 550 yen and decided to try it out. Before you couldn't see into the tank. Now it looks great. If you look at a certain angle, you can see the scratches but straight on... nothing. The stuff is a small bottle with a green label that says something in Japanese and the letters PLA. PLA is the scratch remover. PLB is the stuff to make acrylic shiny. I'm gonna try it next.

Any follow up on this product? Does Mike need to donate a 6-er of beer in the name of science?

I will add this follow-up question. Does it only look better "AFTER" you've drank all the beer?

Dana

Novus makes a two stage liquid scratch remover and a polish. It takes a little work, but I've had great results with it. It's like waxing a car again and again and again and again and again in a very small area.

Hmm . . . I forgot to add scratches on the inside of my tank to my downsides in my victory post.

Any recommendations on how to get rid of scratches while there is still water inside?

Sangogo,

Best thing to do is order an acrylic polishing kit consisting of sand paper. that's what I have done before.

Dana,

I looked again when I was sober and it looks good for just a polish compound. If you look at it just right in the light, you can see the scratches but it is perfectly clear. I bought the other part, the PLB, but havent tried it yet. I will throw it on this weekend and report back to everyone. FYI, this stiff is pretty much like novus, just the japaese version.

Sangogo,

Best thing to do is order an acrylic polishing kit consisting of sand paper. that's what I have done before.

Dana,

I looked again when I was sober and it looks good for just a polish compound. If you look at it just right in the light, you can see the scratches but it is perfectly clear. I bought the other part, the PLB, but havent tried it yet. I will throw it on this weekend and report back to everyone. FYI, this stuff is pretty much like novus, just the japaese version.

Well, I tried the other part and am not impressed. to tell the truth, I don't see a difference. I recommend just using the PLA and sticking with that.

Back