ADA 120-P + Elos Mini dual NPS tank journal

Wondering if you were able to keep the blueberry gorgonian alive?
I've been pondering giving one a shot in my nps system - but i'm not convinced...

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks everyone for your comments!

This system was taken down a few weeks ago due to my schedule being too busy and an impending move across the country at the end of the year. All of the livestock was sold or donated. I was saddened to let go of animals that had become so comfortable in their environment, but I hope they continue to do well in captive environments.

I will not be setting up another reef tank for a couple years due to the likelihood of my moving again within that time. I believe that success with these systems is all about heavy planning and automation, so its not easy just to set something up and break it down again in a short time. Then you have the difficulty of finding people that can actually care for these animals. I want to set up a non-photo system that will still be going strong after 5 years or more. I believe that the secret to keeping harder species like Dendronephthya is food density. The goal in the future for me will be achieving highest food densities while keeping with acceptable water parameters, which are not as strict as people make them out to be. I have some ideas how to make this work, nothing new really but I will try to give my input if anyone else is ready to take the plunge and set up a dedicated non-photo tank.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks everyone for your comments!

This system was taken down a few weeks ago due to my schedule being too busy and an impending move across the country at the end of the year. All of the livestock was sold or donated. I was saddened to let go of animals that had become so comfortable in their environment, but I hope they continue to do well in captive environments.

I will not be setting up another reef tank for a couple years due to the likelihood of my moving again within that time. I believe that success with these systems is all about heavy planning and automation, so its not easy just to set something up and break it down again in a short time. Then you have the difficulty of finding people that can actually care for these animals. I want to set up a non-photo system that will still be going strong after 5 years or more. I believe that the secret to keeping harder species like Dendronephthya is food density. The goal in the future for me will be achieving highest food densities while keeping with acceptable water parameters, which are not as strict as people make them out to be. I have some ideas how to make this work, nothing new really but I will try to give my input if anyone else is ready to take the plunge and set up a dedicated non-photo tank.

This was sad then and is even sadder now! I hope you stick around and continue to impart your considerable knowledge to us. Thanks for all your help in the past Mike!

I am also very sorry that you will be leaving the hobby for a while. Your tank is an inspiration to me/us. And Yes! Please! Don't stop posting. I would love to hear your theories, thoughts, observations and plans.

I hope that your relocation is a happy event and best of luck to you until you start your new tank.

Well, while I'm very sorry that you had to take down that spectacular system, I can understand the need for it. It must have been hard to give all that up! Your TOTM was one of the ones that inspired my current setup (I'm not taking the plunge into actual NPS corals at this point, but I'm going for an NPS "look" with photosynthetic Stereonephthyas and maybe an Isis hippuris gorgonian). I wish you the best of luck in your new home and career. :)

Uhuru, hope you get this message because I cant send private messages yet. Was wondering if you still have the Sapphire Aquatics nano reactor still? Would like to buy it from you. Great work with your tank btw!

Back