Added cuc, water parameters stable for a week. Can I add shrimp?

Vilas

Hi!
I had 0 ammonia and nitrites for three days, hit a tide pool, and added about 7 snails, 2 limpets, a giant chiton, and some zoas. Also ended up bringing home a biiiig mussel that my husband was going to eat, and never got around to it. Man, those things can poop! Who knew. They're local mussels, so happy with my tanks temperature.

Anyways, I've been testing every day, and other than barely readable nitrates (the only big spike I got initially, my ammonia spike was small, despite ghost feeding)
Husband is begging for a pair of clownfish. I want a pair of cleaner shrimp. Would you add anything yet? And which would you go for, the fish or the shrimp? I'd actually think that a clown would be more likely to live in a new tank. Maybe just one, instead of the pair, a juv?

I told him that if he can catch a clownfish, he can keep it. Damned if he hasn't spent every lunch break at the tide pools with a net. I think I'd prefer to buy, however. We get the nosestripe/skunk clowns locally, and frankly, the only clown I am happy with in a 65 gallon tank is a false perc.

Any advice?

How big was your ammonia spike? And what are your nitrate numbers? Give us a timeline please. If you just got rid of the nitrites, I wouldn't be adding anything yet.

Also, I get the feeling that my tank will have to have a "fridge" section, for hubby to store his oysters and mussels. Going to have to lay down the law about how long they're allowed in. I know they won't live indefinitely in a tank.

My guess is the tank didn't cycle yet. U will get a big NH3 spike. By the way the shrimp can live through more abuse tank wise then fish. When I first started I end up with ick and all kinds of bad stuff and it had no effect on the shrimp.

Well, I have been feeding big amounts daily. I've used mostly NSW off the reef (collected from a boat) and have 1lb/gal live rock. Plus added live sand that had only been out of the ocean for seconds. Surely if I've been feeding every day, and I've had a nitrate spike but only a small ammonia spike, I have some good bacteria?
I will take your advice, though, and go with a juv shrimp instead of a fish. I'm terrified of going too quickly after my experiences back in 2001!

Sloppyj, ammonia (in mg/l!) 0.2, never saw nitrites, nitrates spiked to 10, then came down to 1 for the last week.

Argh, my post was badly written. I added the cuc and mussel six days ago, no change in water. Ammonia and nitrites still zero, nitrates barely readable after the initial spike.

uploadfromtaptalk1401389485838.jpg here. Let's make this simple. Nitrates are the spiky one, ammonia is the sloping one at the bottom, nitrites have remained 0.

I'm no expert but the first time I set up a new tank I did the whole food thing like you got a small spike in NH3. I had only live sand in the tank the bag said some BS on it about you can add fish right away if you use this sand. Everything seemed to go back down so I went and picked up two fish. They seemed happy and then a few days later the tank went through a big NH3 spike and killed the fish. After that my NH3 stayed at 0. Maybe someone else will post and give us their thoughts. I would be scared to add fish.

How many weeks since you set the tank up? Since you used live rock & sand, you might've only had a mini-cycle that was barely noticable. Did you use ocean water too? I'd still wait a few weeks before adding any fish. But a shrimp would be fine.

Wait, nitrates shouldn't have come down? I had a brown algae bloom - figured that was due to my nitrates, and the algae and bacteria were eating the nitrates. Why shouldn't nitrates come down?

And swampybill, some ocean water taken out at sea, some to and synthetic. The boat isn't very big, you see. I can take from the beach, but I read it is cleaner a few miles out, and anyways, we have six to eight foot surf on a normal day. YOU try to wade out and fill a Gerry can. ;-)

Sorry. Three weeks. Think I'll find a baby cleaner? Smaller = less waste, right? We caught a little goby and a chromis this morning, made my husband throw them back. :)

So how long has your tank been running?

There is no set time your just looking for the NH3 spike as far as I know. 3 weeks seems really long but I'm not sure what would be normal. What scares me is the fact that you hardly saw an NH3 spike.

Wait, nitrates shouldn't have come down? I had a brown algae bloom - figured that was due to my nitrates, and the algae and bacteria were eating the nitrates. Why shouldn't nitrates come down?

I think what he means is if you didn't get an NH3 spike then the NO3 shouldn't have gone down.

Last edited:
Could the sea water, live sand, and live rock have stopped the NH3 from spiking? Never used sea water before.

Back