Adding a Clown

ANC

So this may not be the best place to ask but I figured better than anywhere else. I have a false perc. that I purchased i'd say about 4 months ago and i would love to add another for I guess breeding purposes/i love clownfish purposes. Can i just go buy a clown bigger then the one I have and be ok or should I buy a couple and see if they pair off then sell the "spare"? thanks for the help.

It is a risky thing adding another clown that isn't paired already. If you must, buying a smaller or bigger one will increase the chances of pairing. I wouldn't buy two to introduce to the tank as that would cause even more problems.

It's a risk, I'd say 50/50 if they will pair or fight. Just my opinion.

I feel that my false perc is actually very small. I think when I bought him he may have been under an inch in size and may now only be about 1.25" in size. I feel that buying one larger than him (I hope it's still a he) wouldn't be a problem. If I can buy one larger will I be better off or one smaller than the clown I already have?

The sex of your current clown does not matter much because it may change with the addition of another clown. I am not sure if you would be better off with a smaller clown, I would shoot for larger if you are going to do it.

Go big if you can. Since your current clown is "top dog" of your tank currently, it's likely it will beat up any new clown that is introduced, unless it's significantly larger.

Some people have said go smaller, and I think the logic with that is the clown won't perceive the new guy as a threat, and be more receptive to pairing up.

Either way, avoid getting one that is similar in size.

The sex of your current clown does not matter much because it may change with the addition of another clown. I am not sure if you would be better off with a smaller clown, I would shoot for larger if you are going to do it.

Not so... If the current clown is a female, and another female is introduced, you'll end up with one female if you know what I mean.

Not so... If the current clown is a female, and another female is introduced, you'll end up with one female if you know what I mean.

So i have read. I think I may try to pair my clown up this weekend...results are sure to follow.

Back