Adding a humuhumu

T Haynes

I saw blue zoo listed min tank size as 50. Seems a little small for a fish that gets that big. I have a 90 that I'm gonna set up when I move. Will there be enough room with a cuc, reef losbter, 2 percs, diamond watchman, valentini puffer, flame angel, and coral beauty to add a humuhumu to the 90 when I have it set up in your opinion?

Cuc can be replaced and I doubt lobster will get gotten, he stays hidden and burrowed all day. The size is my concern. A lite suprised that live aquaria had such a small tank for it so I figured maybe it was lazy and I missed that part

Cuc can be replaced and I doubt lobster will get gotten, he stays hidden and burrowed all day.

Triggers kill cuc for 'sport'...once they have a taste for it, they will kill the new cuc as soon as they are added to the tank...

Very mean fish that will crunch all your inverts to bits and may or may not eat your fish. Also pretty big and very active. More of a solo-tank fish.

When I set my tank up, my trigger was about the size of my thumbnail. He was awesome, and attention seeker, very active, friendly to the point where it seemed like he liked to be pet.

Fast forward 3 years... The only thing left in a tank that had a niger trigger, a snowflake eel, coral beauty, lawnmower blenny and a domino damsel was the Eel.

He got big, realized he was the alpha in the tank and they were all gone, he is now being fostered by a friend with a large aggressive tank, and I'm restocking with mostly community fish.

you cannot put a humu humu in a reef tank, they will devour everything. They are one of the most aggressive triggers

You can put a humu humu in your reef but yes it will sample things and likely eat your lobster, crabs, snails and other motile invertibrates. It will chew on your rocks, pick up the rocks it can lift and rearrange them(mostly to get at the undersides). It may squirt water out of the tank.

A long time ago I kept a small humu humu in a 60 gallon softy reef for a couple years. It seemed to do well for the two years I kept it. No fish were harmed but I couldn't maintain a cleanup crew and the fish outgrew it's tank. I've never maintained a full sized adult humu humu and can't recommend an appropriate tank size but I think you'll find 90 gallons to be inadequate.

Back