adding partition to a sump

dviper150

I should have done this before I set it up but I have protein skimmer setup in my sump along with the return pump. I wanted to put a partition between the skimmer and return pump so that the water level in the skimmer area remains the same without me adjusting the nozzle everytime the water level goes up or down. Is it possible to somehow add a partition now with water in it? Can I add a proper sized acrylic sheet and set it up between the skimmer and return pump? I heard that the acrylic sheets that home depot sells expand in water over time so if i add the sheet, would it expand and over time stop a lot of water from leaking out the sides? Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the link! That does look do-able. I will definitely give that a try tomorrow and see if it works. I will let you know.

Last edited:
i went today and bought the stuff that I needed. I followed the cutting instructions on the website and I have it say, it worked out PERFECTLY! I installed it with the water in the sump and everything running. Now i have 2 sides in my sump with different levels of water. Thanks again!

Last edited:
i went today and bought the stuff that I needed. I followed the cutting instructions on the website and I have it say, it worked out PERFECTLY! I installed it with the water in the sump and everything running. Now i have 2 sides in my sump with different levels of water. Thanks again!

Glad it worked for you. Where did you find the Marine/Outdoor EPDM foam rubber weather stripping?

I bought the regular outdoor weather stripping. I asked them if they had EPDM and they have no idea what that was so they showed me the weather strippings they had. I picked the best one I could and put it on.

the weather strip i tried has failed. a couple of days later, the sticky part wore off. I need to find the marine/outdoor epdm and try that. Any other suggestions on adding a partition while water is in it?

I will check that out that store later on today or tomorrow. Going to be heading in the lombard direction for other things too. Thanks

The Marine/outdoor one should be good because a lot of other people are using without any negative impact on water quality.

Just stop the sump and redo everything.. You are just spending $$ & gas :hmm2:

I have a HOB skimmer that you can use to get you by (AquaC Remora with mag 5). Should do anything over 75gal.

LMK

I am also thinking of just taking out the sump and turn off all the pumps for a day or 2 until the glue dries in the sump. I will be going to home depot tomorrow to get some more acrylic. What kind of glue do people use to put a partitions in the sump?

I don't think I have enough room in the back of my tank for a HOB skimmer. The space there is limited so I have most of the stuff in my fuge and sump. I will let you know though. Thanks!

Weldon 4. It will set in minutes and cure in hours. And there is no reason to cut acrylic yourself. There are sellers on ebay that will cut acrylic for you. That is what i did and it worked out well. My home depot and lowes would not cut acrylic.

Does home depot or lowes carry Weldon 4? I have a machine that I used before to cut acrylic so cutting that isn't a problem.

I could not find weldon glue at home depot. I got mine on ebay with acrylic sheets. By the way, home depot acrylic is not cell cast acrylic. But then again, this is for sump use so i guess it does not matter.

That's acrylic to acrylic only. If your sump is glass, you should use glass. Aquarium safe caulk can be purchased at Petco.

What bonds glass to glass and is reef safe? I might just go in that direction if its easier and better in the long run. Does home depot cut glass?

Back