Advice about getting out of the hobby

There are really limited buyers for high end tanks in the city. Maybe you can try to post in other part of the State like Sacramento. Why are you getting out the hobby only after 4 months?

There are really limited buyers for high end tanks in the city. Maybe you can try to post in other part of the State like Sacramento. Why are you getting out the hobby only after 4 months?

Why do you think Sacramento?Do you think there are more Elos owners here in Sacramento? ;)

Bryan

Thank you all! I am still not sure I will be selling out. It looks like I will be moving a lot for work over the next few years and moving a tank around the world every six months does not seem smart. If I do break down, I will definitely off load the livestock. Seems like I will also sell the lights/ato/controller because they will sell for close to purchase and is an area of improving technology. Sounds like it might be a good idea to pack up my tank/sump/skimmer/pumps. Collectively I spent about $7,500 and these are the items that will sell for the deepest discount. That way I will have most of what I need when I decide to get back in the hobby and avoid the largest write offs.

You are going to lose a lot of money for sure.
From my experience, Ebay is the best. There are people buying all kinds of stuff so you can sell almost anything there.
Put the least amount you want to get, and auction them.

Just out of curiosity...wouldn't taking anything to a lfs be like taking it to a pawnshop, implying you'd get basically nothing for it?

Honestly, my advice is keep some stuff. Keep all the essentials because one day you WILL come back to this hobby whether you want it or not. Sell all the expensive stuff, but keep stuff like chemicals, test kits, buckets, ro/di, racks, mag floats. The first time i "got out" of the hobby, i let everything go to a newbie. When i came back with my new build, i had to buy all that stuff again, and even though it wasnt really expensive stuff, it all added up. Now even though i dont have a tank, i kept most of my stuff because il come back in a few years.

I would keep the tank setup and just sell all the other stuff....

Even if you work hard and try to sell everything individually, I would be surprised if you get over 3-4k for everything.

If you sell it all together it would be tough to get over 2k. From what I have seen in tank sales over the years and in selling one, people don't want to plop down larges chunks of cash on a full setups.

Super nice tank though! I kick myself for not buying Genes, but the timing couldn't have been worse....

Back