Advice on a heavy duty pump

clintrandall

I'm brainstorming my plans to replace my powerheads with one big closed-loop system. I would like advice on what gph I would need and what type of pump to get. I'm going to plumb it through the canopy so I don't have to worry about any head pressure, but I will have about 10 outlets with 6 at the surface and 4 buried deeper in my live rock. I currently have two Seio 1100's and a Rio 2100 for my current. Suggestions? I would be willing to trade the Seio's and throw in cash if someone has a pump they'd like to part with that could do the job. I'm thinking I need something pretty serious, like 3000gph or more. Maybe a Mag 36 or something.

Thanks. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a feeling this will quickly grow out of my price range.

Clint

Clint,
I would GLADLY take those 2 1100's off your hands. I am totally in the market for two of those. If you want to sell them to be you can then apply the money to your new pump. What do you think!?!?! -DIRT (Tyler)

That sounds fine with me. I'm checking ebay right now for a mag 36 or mag 50. If I find one, I'll gladly do it. I just need a few days after I get it to hook it up and then the Seio's will be free.

Does $100 sound good! One of the impellers is new. I'll of course soak them in vinegar and clean them up.

Clint

Clint,
$100 is a STEAL! Get the new pump you want and I will take those 1100's off your hands! Great deal...take your time and get the right pump. I won't need those for another 2-3 weeks at the soonest. Thanks man! -Tyler

i wouldn't go with the mag 36 do to the wattage(360w) and they are know to leak after a while. you might want to look at Sequence Drat(160W) or a amp master 3000. the wattage is less for both and better pumps imo. cheak in the sell forum i think i saw and sequence two days ago. sell the seio's to make up the cost.

What do you guys think of Gen-x pumps? I've been looking at the Gen-X PC18000, which is 4750gph, and I can get it for around $175 shipped. I can't find any wattage info however.

Clint

I have two Little Giant high capacity pumps and really like them. Quiet, reliable.

I would go with a sequence or ampmaster......Those little giants don't put out much even their largest one won't compare to a ampmaster 3000 or sequence IMO

after seeing sidewinder's setup I am sold on the sequence pumps. For the price and the customer service he was telling me about you can't go wrong.

I am going to be using 2 - Darts and 1 - Baracuda on my tank. The darts are really pretty efficient as far as electricity.

After all that - including a good part of the last two days researching - I'm not going to go with the closed loop. My main concern is dead spots, but it's so much easier and more efficient at this point to just jam two or three decent powerheads behind the rockwork to force current.

Sorry Tyler, but I won't be selling the Seio's! I'll try to see where I bought them. I got them for around $140 shipped.

Clint

setting up a closed loop is the only way to go. My first tank had powerheads, I will never run them again. When you upgrade to closed loop your water will be cooler and you wont worry about any thing being killed by the intake of powerheads.

It's cool Clint. It's just a good thing your such a nice guy...or I would be kickin' your butt! Just joking dude, I will find them elsewhere, no worries! Thanks, Ty

Back