Advice on Plumbing a Chiller

coralGoodie

I am planning to install a chiller and would liketo get some help on plumbing it. I have the ff:

1) 55 gal. uniquarium
2) RIO 1700 Plus as main pump

I would like to know if I also need like a check valve on the return line and line coming out from the tank. I don't have a sump.

You don't really need a check valve since you will basically running the Rio from the back into the chiller and then returning the chilled water back the aqaurium...almost a closed loop.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6872558#post6872558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RandallGoby
You don't really need a check valve since you will basically running the Rio from the back into the chiller and then returning the chilled water back the aqaurium...almost a closed loop.

How would you control the flow coming out form RIO pump?

just run a rio at the gph rate for the chiller like mine is 200gph, so i got a little maxi 1200 on it, but with the headloss i might need something stronger

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6872953#post6872953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drake66
just run a rio at the gph rate for the chiller like mine is 200gph, so i got a little maxi 1200 on it, but with the headloss i might need something stronger

I'm not plannin got have a sump right now so I might need an external pump...any suggestion?:rollface:

first off, get rid of the rio. Second find a better return pump. If you can afford it get a Ehiem, it is quiet and efficient. Also if your worried about water sipon from your tank, all you need to do is dril a small hole at the top of the return near the water line to break the siphon, 10x more reliable than a check vaulve.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6880369#post6880369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by turtlespd
first off, get rid of the rio. Second find a better return pump. If you can afford it get a Ehiem, it is quiet and efficient. Also if your worried about water sipon from your tank, all you need to do is dril a small hole at the top of the return near the water line to break the siphon, 10x more reliable than a check vaulve.

What would you recommend in place of RIO 1700? How about the return pump? What would you recommend? Please note that I have a uniquarium. Do I still need to drill a hole?

I recently got a 1/5 HP JBJ and I ran a closed loop.
There are two PVC tubes in the tank, one inlet that goes to clear vinyl to a "quiet one 3000" pump (700gph), more 3/4in vinyl into the chiller, vinly to pvc back into the tank. I also used a loc-line splitter for the return.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6903164#post6903164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jefathome
I recently got a 1/5 HP JBJ and I ran a closed loop.
There are two PVC tubes in the tank, one inlet that goes to clear vinyl to a "quiet one 3000" pump (700gph), more 3/4in vinyl into the chiller, vinly to pvc back into the tank. I also used a loc-line splitter for the return.

Do you have a return pump only and no drain pump?

Back