afex's 135g Rimless Cube

how about something like this so you can see down the cliff area. just an idea... i like the idea but wondered if it was to focused on one wall so i did this. maybe even remove that little "point" in the bottom center to see into the "lagoon" area better? and put a rock in the back left ?

clean looking stand skin! i think i'm going to steal some ideas from youhere... think i'll go cheap and use "hooks" or something instead of magnets =) i like how it looks like a cube w/o doors or anything.

rock.jpg

Nice, I like cubes. My next tank may be a cube as well. Always wanted to do a center overflow and have all 4 sides viewable.

As for the rock work, a couple columns would look sweet in there. It would allow corals all the way around them and still viewable from all three sides.

I agree on the dfs sand shipping. I think petsmart is "ok" to if you use a coupon and do local pickup or something.

chrissreef: interesting idea about the rockwork. i may have to try it out. one reason i did it the way i did, was to make sure the view from all 3 sides was interesting. also, i wanted the view into the channel to be perpendicular to the glass for photography.

prodman: cool tank. good to hear that the nanostreams are working out for you. i was about to order some caribsea sugar sized sand from my LFS, for less than it would have cost to ship from an online vendor. it should be here on the 7th.

Where did you get that rock? I would seriously consider cooking it just to make sure you are starting with a clean slate. I know you said that you were going to use a bacterial strain for filtration but cooking the rock in a trash can will give you nice rock to start with and something to do until you get the tank fully operartional.

Have you decided on your RO/DI unit? I like the spectrapure units.

Why don't you get a couple Tunze and a vortech if you can swing it? That way you can see which you like better and the good thing about high end stuff like that is people will snatch it up at a great price (you will lose very little money) if you decide you like one better than the other.

It is looking good. Wish I would have thought of peg board for the back of my stand.

easye123: thanks!

CeeGee: the rock is from Bulk Reef Supply. it is base rock, so it is devoid of any life. i'm going to cure the rock in the tank since my light fixture is on backorder and i have time to kill waiting for it.

for RO/DI, i already have a Typhoon III from my last tank. needs a replaced john guest fitting but otherwise should be good to go.

my only real problem with the vortechs is that they do not use the standard 1-10v control channel, so my profilux controller can't control their flow. with the tunze's i can tweak their flow and do some cooler stuff than just turn them on/off.

thanks for the comments!

I can tell that you know your stuff just thought I would throw a couple things out there.

Base rock devoid of life doesn't necessarily mean devoid of phosphate.

I also bought base rock except mine was from reeferrocks which was highly recommended at the time. I was told there was no need to cook the rock. I rinsed it well and put it in the tank. My tank exploded in algae a few weeks later. I had a little to start with but it really just blew up. I am still fighting it.

I am starting the polyp labs system today. I actually just added my first dose of RF Feul and RF Genesis. I have to get this algae out of here! The PL system was recommended as it uses a dropper and a syringe to administer the product. It isn't pre measured as is the prodibio. I have been told by Tang Salad that it works really well. I guess we will find out!

Last edited:
thanks for the heads up ceegee, i'll have to keep an eye on my po4. hopefully using bacteria at the start along with gfo, i can avoid a bloom

ah, gotcha! aye, i think the nanostreams would be perfect... i have 4 6010.1 (or whatever they're called) and they're WAY to much current. I have all 4 on the lowest setting and alternating. Of course I'm a mixed reef with mostly lps.

this will be a sweet tank. will you be getting your corals online or lfs?

I thought that it was a bad idea to use GFO and a bacteria system? I was told to remove my Chaeto (that was withering away and not doing me any good) and to remove my GFO while keeping my carbon running at all times. While skimming the crap out of the system.

You might want to check into that.

As I stated before today I added the bacteria and carbon source for the first time. My skimmer has pulled quite a bit today and my water already looks clearer. Either that or my other personality started smoking krak!

i'm not running a refugium for that reason, but i hadn't read anything about not using GFO. i'll have to double check on that.

From what I understand the bac system does a better job at what the GFO does than the GFO so why use it?

I can tell you from experience that GFO isn't all it is cracked up to be. I have been going through it like mad and the algae in my tank just keeps on kickin'.

more pics!

got my sand (90lbs of Caribsea Sugar Sized) so i was finally able to put the rocks into the tank. i also was able to get some plumbing work done. i made my overflow using the "Hofer Gurgle Buster" method. i'll have to wait and see if i like it.

also, a local reefer offered to make a custom sump for me, and it should be ready this weekend! so now my main priority is getting my "water station" ready. (not a full fledged room, you'll see :D)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13506567#post13506567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
Looks like its going to be a nice One !!!

Yeah, I can't wait to see this tank in action!

Back