AI Hydra Settings Thread

The big difference in the two is par and pur

14k higher par
20k higher pur

The reason I say it doesn't matter much with LEDs is because most people do not run the top of the line fixtures near 100%, it's really easy to adjust 14k lighting to have the PUR of 20k just by turning up the overall intensity a little bit more. For fixed intensity that is true, but one of the great things with LED is that intensity is so easily changed.

Last edited:
Not a bad read but I would take his recommendations with a grain of salt. Many have already argued on PUR vs PAR and the useable wavelengths.

He owns an Aquarium store and guess what led lights he sells? No other credentials except for being in the business for a long time.

But it is good info none the less.

Vincent

I agree, the basic info is great, but his interpretation is somewhat lacking and biased towards the light he sells. Such as his dislike of any fixture that has spectrum outside the PUR region. Quality LED units have plenty of power and are not lacking for the blue PUR spike, modifying the spectrum that isn't as critical for photosynthesis, such as green, can have a huge influence on the appearance of the tank. Most people keep reef tanks because they enjoy looking at them, if the PUR is adequate, and that is important, imo it's not a waste to add other spectrum that can be user defined with the purpose of enhancing our viewing pleasure.

Help with settings.

Help with settings.

Hello Hydra users :wavehand: im new to leds. I have 2 new Hydra 26's over my 36 long 12 deep 14 tall tank. The lights are 8" above the water line and 9" apart. Lights on at 8 am off at 7:30pm with a ramp time of 2 hours. I have my lights set at 40 across the board and acclimation at 10 first is 40 across good? And second should I be running the acclimation when the leds are already at 40? I only have a few corals as im redoing my tank and upgrading my equipment.

I have a 36" by 28" deep mixed tank with one hydra 52. Looking for more spread and considering two AI Primes instead. What do you think?

I have a 36" by 28" deep mixed tank with one hydra 52. Looking for more spread and considering two AI Primes instead. What do you think?

I don't think having ONLY 2 primes would give you enough light in general. I have 2 Hydra 26s on my 36x20h and they are separated by about 7 inches. I think 4 light pucks provide pretty much the perfect power for a 36" tank, but the 52 doesn't provide enough spread. I think you would either have to ADD the primes to either side or unfortunately buy another 52 and run them side by side on fairly conservative power settings to avoid too much power...

Yes, remember that a single Prime is basically just one puck of the Hydra 52, so even with two Primes spread out, you'll only have half the light of a 52.

How high do you have the 52 right now? Even though your tank is pretty deep, I wonder if you could just raise the 52 to get more spread?

Id love to raise it. It's about 8" but my wife would kill me. It's sitting on a hole in the hood. She loves the hood so only other option is buy another 52 or add to either side of it. Anyone selling a 52 lol?

on my ai hydra 52 over my biocube 29g my settings are.

CW:40
V:60
R:25
G:25
B:100
RB:100
UV:25

Seems to look good and produce correct color's so far.

Looking for some suggestions on overall intensity on a pair of Hydra 52's. I have them over a IM Fusion 30L. I have two because I upgraded from Vegas... which didn't have enough spread to do just one over a 36" tank. On top of that, I plan on eventually moving the 52's to a Red Sea Reefer 450 where I can utilize their potential better. So I'm simply running them at pretty low %'s now, but want to know if it is enough... details as follows:

Tank: 36" length, 13" height and 10" width
Fixtures mounted 7.5" AWL
Mixed reef with SPS 3"-4" BWL
LPS and softies on the bottom and midway up.

Currently running these as max settings on a 14 hour cycle with 4 hour ramps on the front and back:

UV 28%
V 28%
DB 40%
RB 36%
G 14%
R 6%
CW 8%

Theses settings give me the color I want. I'm using an Apex controller with Fusion, so I can simply turn up overall intensity if you think it's needed. I have a Seneye PAR meter, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

broadfield i don't think i'd run the CW led's less than 15-18% just because of PAR but your tank is shallow and your settings look good IMO other than that, but im still getting used to the hydra myself

Last edited:
broadfield i don't think i'd run the CW led's less than 15-18% just because of PAR but your tank is shallow and your settings look good IMO other than that, but im still getting used to the hydra myself

Yeah, if I determine that I need more PAR, then I'll simply up the overall intensity a bit... I want to keep the color spectrum that I have.

Can anyone tell me what settings would get me 10k, 14k and 20k on a Hydra26? I would like to see the color differences.

Thanks

A look at my settings graphic. ( Android App )

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-15-19-57-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-15-19-57-24.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Back