AI Prime 16HD vs Fluval Nano LED

newguy1983

Hi fellow aquarium enthusiasts!

After seven long years away from aquariums, I have decided to make the leap back in to saltwater. My last tank was a 55g FOWLR that was decommissioned when my then two year old sent a baseball into and we ended up moving shortly after.

So, I am soon to be the proud new owner of a 10g JBJ Nano RL (NRL-10). It has a spot right next to my desk in my home office and will look lovely. I debated on the 13g Fluval EVO - but not a fan of the plastic top, and the pump is weak.

So -my question pertains to lighting.

I am torn between the AI Prime 16HD or the Fluval Nano LED light for the intended tank. I know for a fact I will never ever grow SPS in my tank (I know I know, there is always the future, but I've never really had luck in the past) - maybe just some polyps or some zoos.

I’ve read that while the 16HD could basically grow any kind of coral in my tank, that it may be too powerful for my small tank size. The Fluval has my attention for the obvious price break (over $150 less when you count the mounting bracket), but, unsure which way I should go. I see they both have bluetooth controls - and can adjust based on that and various apps and such, but, yeah.

I welcome your input.

Last edited:
Hi fellow aquarium enthusiasts!

After seven long years away from aquariums, I have decided to make the leap back in to saltwater. My last tank was a 55g FOWLR that was decommissioned when my then two year old sent a baseball into and we ended up moving shortly after.

So, I am soon to be the proud new owner of a 10g JBJ Nano RL (NRL-10). It has a spot right next to my desk in my home office and will look lovely. I debated on the 13g Fluval EVO - but not a fan of the plastic top, and the pump is weak.

So -my question pertains to lighting.

I am torn between the AI Prime 16HD or the Fluval Nano LED light for the intended tank. I know for a fact I will never ever grow SPS in my tank (I know I know, there is always the future, but I've never really had luck in the past) - maybe just some polyps or some zoos.

I've read that while the 16HD could basically grow any kind of coral in my tank, that it may be too powerful for my small tank size. The Fluval has my attention for the obvious price break (over $150 less when you count the mounting bracket), but, unsure which way I should go. I see they both have bluetooth controls - and can adjust based on that and various apps and such, but, yeah.

I welcome your input.

Tank is about 23.5" wide correct.
and 10 wide and deep.

Neither of your choices are really "best fit" for the tank geometry.
Square lights vs rectangular tank.
Assume you want a clip on type light.
A compromise from say 2 Nanos..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CK4NMS...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Nano is 15w ai is 50w

the JBJ Nano NRL-10 is 15"H × 12"W X 13"D - so, it is a cube, per say. This tank is not a rectangle.

Back