Algae growth.

KcReefRank

Hi everyone! I'm new to the hobby and have had my tank setup for 4-5 months now. I check all of the parameters and they're all perfect. The tank has been doing well. Lately though the tank is over come with a purple/pink algae. At first I thought it was coralline algae but some of the places its starting to grow out a little big like hair which doesn't sound like the right characteristics. I've attached some pics and I'm hoping someone can look and tell me what kind of algae this is.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
Looks like cyano to me. Syphon it out and increase flow, otherwise let it run its course.

Flow

Flow

The flow I thought was already high. I have a Koralia 1050 and an 850. What's weird is that it's all over the powerheads and where they're pointed too. I started to take some out manually. Not really a problem and looks good actually but don't want it out of control. I'm starting weekly water changes to help. Thanks for the input!

Cyano is totally normal in a new tank. It's basically a nutrient sponge. Cut back on feeding, siphon it out with regular water changes and it will go away on it's own.

BTW, your 'parameters are perfect' because the cyano is taking up the nutrients before the tests can read them.

A turkey baster works great for sucking it out. Go lights out for 3-4 days and if sunlight hits your tank block it. You might want to invest in a GFO-carbon reactor too.

Back