Algae ID in frag tank

WhtUpDo

Hi all,

I've got an algae problem in my frag tank. Take a look at the pics (one with flash, one without) and let me know what you think it is and how to get rid of it.

Some info on my system -
- the 20 gallon frag tank is plumbed into the 120 gallon display
- The display tank has the same algae growing on the back glass
- The tank has been running for about 7 years
- This algae has only been around in the last few months

- I have a large Octopus DNWB skimmer
- I run biopellets and GFO
- I only use RODI water
- Radion Gen4 lights
- There is one lawnmower blenny in the frag tank, he's not interested in taking care of my algae
- The display has 3 tangs (Purple, Chevron, and Salefin), and 4 clowns
- PH is between 8.1 & 8.3 (depending on time of day)
- 77 degrees
- 33.3 Cond
- MP40 running in the frag tank

.... I think that's it

Thank you for the help!!

Attachments

• 2016-12-09 14.21.26.jpg
    2016-12-09 14.21.26.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2016-12-09 14.20.52.jpg
    2016-12-09 14.20.52.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
It looks like the start of dinoflagellates, but I'm not 100% sure. As to getting rid of it... good luck.

Reduce feeding, do a water change, go lights out for 3 days (or just blues for 5 days if you have leds), keep blowing it off the stuff in the tank and collect it in a very fine net or filter sock.

If it is dinoflagellates, it's not the end of the world, just a PITA. And you have to be vigilant and stay on top of it even once it's gone. It doesn't take much to see it return.

Do you have a refugium? If so, how is your macro algae doing?

I do have a refugium... But there is currently no macro algae in it.

I moved the tank about three months ago and lost all of my macro algae. I also removed all of the sand from the tank. Last night I was doing some reading and saw that removing my sandbed could cause a Dino outbreak.

Should my first move be to get some macro algae growing?

Thank you,
Ryan

Great link! I have the chuck'addiction site bookmarked and refer to it occasionally. His article on the clean up crew is one of the best I've ever read. Highly recommended!

Back