algae id

xanderR

2FC3CAE5-6920-49E7-AB19-BA42DD0EF7C0.jpeg
I know it’s not a great picture but in person the rocks are brown with a fuzzy white algae on them. Could anyone tell me what it is?

View attachment 32371111I know it’s not a great picture but in person the rocks are brown with a fuzzy white algae on them. Could anyone tell me what it is?
Is this a new system? Looks like the ugly stage.

Brown could be diatoms. White could be the starting of numerous types of algaes or even bacteria.

What kind of clean up crew do you have? I'd put a couple snails right on that and see if they eat it.

Is this a new system? Looks like the ugly stage.

Brown could be diatoms. White could be the starting of numerous types of algaes or even bacteria.

What kind of clean up crew do you have? I'd put a couple snails right on that and see if they eat it.
This tank is almost 6 months old.

At this moment the only “clean up crew” I have is 1 snail because my other inverts slowly disappeared over the last 2 weeks. Water chemistry is good as of yesterday. I’m assuming they died just because it was their time but maybe i’m missing something. I have 2 clownfish and they seem happy.

Are there any specific clean up crew members you recommend. My tank is 20 gallons

I can’t think of the name but I have the same algae in my pico tank. It all started when I changed my lighting to a whiter light but haven’t been able to get it back under control. I think I just need to take the rocks out manually scrub and see how it comes back

Are there any specific clean up crew members you recommend. My tank is 20 gallons
I personally like cerith snails because they get in small places and also eat the weird gooey stuff like crysophytes and cyano as well ditritus but are kind of slow. I also like astrea snails, they eat more quantity than ceriths but tend to stick to the staples like film and hair algae.

I personally like cerith snails because they get in small places and also eat the wierd gooey stuff like crysophytes and cyano as well ditritus but are kind of slow. I also like astrea snails, they eat more quantity than ceriths but tend to stick to the staples like film and hair algae.
Ok thanks i’ll probably get some this weekend.

More information about your system would be helpful. What tests are you doing, PAR level or what lights do you have and how long are they on, what and how often are you feeding, what inverts did you have and what did they look like before they died, what dosing are you doing and what else have you added?

More information about your system would be helpful. What tests are you doing, PAR level or what lights do you have and how long are they on, what and how often are you feeding, what inverts did you have and what did they look like before they died, what dosing are you doing and what else have you added?
I’m testing alk, nitrate, phosphate, magnesium, salinity, and ph. I have 1 ai prime 16 and it’s on for 8 hours. I’m feeding frozen mysis shrimp 1 time a day. I had 1 peppermint shrimp 1 cleaner shrimp and 3 snails. Before they died they seemed to be in good health to me snails would move around cleaner shrimp would be pretty active and peppermint shrimp liked to hide in rocks. I’m not dosing anything at the moment.

What are your test results? Is your AI Prime 16 on full or have you adjusted the output? how high is it above your tank? What snails died? How much are you feeding? You also haven't mentioned if or how frequent you're doing water changes. As pointed out above at this point it could be any of several nuisance algae that show up as a tank matures and the best way is to deal with it is using animals that will eat it as as well as using easy and fast growing corals to compete with it for nutrients and water changes.

Back