Algae issue

To be honest I didn't know that you could vacuum a sand bed, I thought the sand would go right up vs. gravel. The stirring up is a good idea, do I just move my hand near the bottom to stir it up or do I actually move the sand around? I do try once a week or so to collect the algae I can see on the bed and put it into a net and toss it away.

I have been using a pipette to "wash" the rocks as best I can, usually i'm chasing the sand, as I blow it, it sometimes moves to another one, but eventually I get it. Is there a better way to do this?

My sock has usually been changed once every 5 days or so but I do notice that sometimes the water is overflowing out of the top of the sock when it's time to change it. I'll increase the change to every 3 days, I did hear that it isn't a good idea to use the felt type socks, should I switch to the other kind?
Lastly, my sock measures in diameter 4" but length is about 8-10", it does touch the bottom of my sump and even folds a little bit, is this ok or should the sock be shorter? It is right next to my skimmer pump, if that is ok.

Vacuum siphon tubes work well to remove the debrie and gunk that fills the bed. Siphon slow and you'll remove the detritus. Siphon with all water changes, if sand comes up to the top just pinch the tube to decrease flow and the sand will follow gravity and drop to your bed. You can even siphon directly into a spare filter sock in your sump with out doing a water change. Your socks should be fine although 4" length ones are available. Small power heads are perfect for cleaning rock. Sand work is a key component of regular maintainence and once you get on top of it you will end up doing it less often.

The Diamond Goby has been doing a great job so far, almost the entire sand bed is clean. As for my shrimp CUC, my Mystery Wrasses decided that he didn't like them anymore, this is after he has lived with them for a few months. So I may be finding him a new home. I have about 12 Nass snails, 2 Mexican Turbo's and half a dozen hermits.

If I go with a ATS, would I be better doing 2 lights or 1? I have read that people do it both ways.

Back