Algae Scrubber Basics

Floyd R Turbo, thank you for your wonderful write up!! Great example of a 3D scrubber. Wonderful pictures and videos!!

Very nice write up and graphics. One small nitpicky thing: a 10"x10" screen lit by both sides actually has 200 square inches of surface area (both sides).

+1 for Srusso's comment.

Some additional hints:

Flow across screen should be minimum 35 GPH/inch of screen width. of course, you can get away with less, just look at mine at 22 GPH/in, but it's also T5HO and enclosed.

Slot tube should NOT have crosscuts. Slot should be 1/8" wide. Use spray and light blockers if not enclosed in acrylic box so that your lights are protected. Originally, crosscuts were recommended to prevent slot clogging. Eventually it was determined that it makes the flow uneven and actually promotes algae growth into the slot. With no crosscuts, the head pressure on the slot prevents algae from growing into the slot, but may cause sideways spray. Hence spray / light blocker.

For this purpose, find a sheet of black plastic at your local hobby store for $2:

IMG_8716.jpg

Lights must - MUST - be in close proximity, and must pointed directly at screen, perpendicular if possible. The vast majority of ATS issues are related to incorrect placement of lighting.

After screen is broken in (5 to 6 weeks), you MUST clean every 7 days no matter what. During screen break-in period, cleaning may need to be more frequent depending on nutrient load and type of algae growth.

You want green hair algae growth as it does not block light from reaching the lower layers as much as red turf. Plus it cleans off easier. This is a pic of a just-cleaned screen

IMG_9229.jpg

You can see that the GHA cleans off easily with the backs of your fingernails. The dark spots are the red turf. You need a razor blade to clean that stuff off. Old dump-bucket style scrubbers used this stuff and whoa does it stink bad when it's exposed to the air and your nostrils.

Some hints if you are thinking of adding one of these to your system:

1) Plan it out and do your research. Building a scrubber without thinking about it could put you into the category of "I tried that and it didn't work" because you failed to plan. Don't be that guy. We want you to not be that guy. Or gal. We want you to succeed.

2) Test your overflow rate. This is critical and I cannot overstate the importance. TEST YOUR OVERFLOW RATE. Take a pitcher and record the time it takes to fill it from the overflow inlet into your sump. Do this a dozen or so times and figure out your actual GPH. Don't use your pump rating or even pump rating less head, do it with real conditions. You might be surprised. Design the WIDTH of your screen accordingly, Flow rate / 35 = inches of screen width. Then, tank volume / width = length of screen.

3) Present your design to someone who has built one and see if they catch a potential issue. It's easier to go back to the drawing board than it is to deal with a poor design after it's already running.

4) Look at as many examples as you can and learn from what others have done. There's a huge thread on Reef Sanctuary with hundreds of builds (ignore the hotheads) and of course there's SM's site.

That's all I can think of for now...

Thanks for the info. This may be a stupid question but for those of us with all in one tanks and no sump to speak of (just a cramped back chamber) is there a way to implement an alternative ATS design.

Not a stupid question at all. The original dump-style scrubbers were top-of-tank.

For nano scrubbers, SM did design one using a specific type of CFL lamp.

You can also implement a top-of-tank acrylic box scrubber that would be about 24" long, 6" tall, and 6" wide with lights. You would run the pump directly from the tank into the screen tube, and the output would just dump out into the top of the tank.

This design is actually the preferred method if you want to acheive massive Pod growth, since the pods live on the screen and would get washed into the tank without having to go through the pump.

The downside is the ATS competes for space needed by DT lighting.

Ok. I have been following all of these threads lately and it does spark my interest.

Honestly I don't care how I get the water clean: ATS and carbon bag vs. skimmer and bag, I just want it to work. I think along the lines of tools in a work bench. All can be used for the right job at the right time.

Also I want to look at my tank not care for it if that makes sense.

I am setting up a 37 gallon FOWLR DT and a 20 gallon high sump.

Putting it at 50 gallons total I will need:

lighting: 2 x 23 CFL in metal reflectors (have)
screen: 50 sq. in. double side lit or 100 sq. in. single side (would have to add more lights correct?).
not sure since I am in the sump design phase right now.
flow: will probably T off my overflow pipe and adjust with a valve or could do a second pump like above though gravity = no cost.

Has anyone split a ATS into two parts single sided so that there is at least one part lit 24/7 like cheato.

Such as midnight on 4 pm off for one
4 pm on 8 am off for the second.

I am in your exact shoes; I don't care what works, just as long as it gets the job done. Hence why I am doing this ATS experiment.

I put the ATS on my 40 BR which houses a pair of clowns, eventually a nem, and some frags. It does have a skimmer and new ATS at the moment.

My 100 gallon has an skimmer rated at 1.5x tank volume, refugium w/ deep sand bed, and chaeto. My nitrAtes are 0, PO4 is 0.07 (which was last taken an hour after feeding, and I dont rinse my food) Hanna checker was new, so I only have one reading. I have ZERO algae in my display; I have to feed the crabs and snails algae sheets. I have such little growth on the glass I only have to mag-float it every 7-10 days. I cannot complain about my tank; dumping a skimmer cup once a week is the easiest thing in the world to do.

I am curious what happens on the ATS/40 BR tank. Shutting the ATS down, scrubbing algae off the screen, replacing bulbs every 3 monthas, etc seems too much work at the moment (I can be lazy:) ), but I am willing to try new things.

Let's keep the Skimmer vs. Scrubber comments to a minimum as past threads show that this creates hostile posts. For this thread let's discuss the algae scrubber as a guild to building and maintaining them. Once the general public knows how to build/keep them and it becomes common knowledge. We can leave it to others threads to compare them.

This is incorrect, a screen lit on both sides that is 10x10 has a 100 gallon scrubber capacity.

It is not incorrect. I wasn't commenting on the "capacity" but on surface area. A screen that is 10"x10" does have 200 square inches of surface area if both sides are taken into account. You had it listed as being 100 square inches. I didn't mean anything by it, just thought you'd want to correct an inaccuracy.

It is not incorrect. I wasn't commenting on the "capacity" but on surface area. A screen that is 10"x10" does have 200 square inches of surface area if both sides are taken into account. You had it listed as being 100 square inches. I didn't mean anything by it, just thought you'd want to correct an inaccuracy.

Oh! I see! Lol my apologies, let me see if I can get that corrected. Thanks ;)

You are both right.

Frank, I understand what you're getting at because you are correct, a 10x10 screen lit on both sides as 200 sq in of surface area. That begin said, when you are sizing a screen for a system, the "1 sq in / gallon" rule means 1 square inch of screen illumined on both sides. So while technically it is 2 square inches, in ATS terminology it is 1 sq in.

It's just less confusing to say that you need a 10x10 screen for 100 gallons

EDIT:

It's good that you brought that up. If you wanted to get very technical about this process, you would say that you need 2 square inches of illuminated screen for every gallon of system water, and that a screen lit of both sides effectively doubles the filtering capacity of each square inch of screen material. Several people have been confused by that.

Also another point of occasional confusion is the GPH/inch of screen. With a screen that is 2 sided and 10 inches long, the measure to be taken is of the length of the screen, not the length of each side of the screen. So a 10" screen would need 350 GPH not 700, although 350 would be the minimum recommended flow.

You'd be surprised how much water can flow through that 1/8" slot that has a 1/16" thick screen inserted into it, leaving only 1/32' on each side.

Last edited:
Here are pictures of my setup, its a single pump system. Uses four 23w CFL bulbs and I commonly harvest 1 cup of algae.

picture.php

A nice DIY setup. A question...

How is the top bar of the scrubber attached to your drain? What if you need to replace your PVC? Is the whole thing just suspended by your drain? Weight is not an issue?

Anything else you want to add? Something you might do differently?

Oh! I see! Lol my apologies, let me see if I can get that corrected. Thanks ;)

No prob. :beer:

You are both right.

Frank, I understand what you're getting at because you are correct, a 10x10 screen lit on both sides as 200 sq in of surface area. That begin said, when you are sizing a screen for a system, the "1 sq in / gallon" rule means 1 square inch of screen illumined on both sides. So while technically it is 2 square inches, in ATS terminology it is 1 sq in.

It's just less confusing to say that you need a 10x10 screen for 100 gallons

EDIT:

It's good that you brought that up. If you wanted to get very technical about this process, you would say that you need 2 square inches of illuminated screen for every gallon of system water, and that a screen lit of both sides effectively doubles the filtering capacity of each square inch of screen material. Several people have been confused by that.

Yepp, that's all I was getting at.

A nice DIY setup. A question...

How is the top bar of the scrubber attached to your drain? What if you need to replace your PVC? Is the whole thing just suspended by your drain? Weight is not an issue?

Anything else you want to add? Something you might do differently?

The PVC does hold the screen, and it's never been an issue. The top bar has never been glued in, so it can be removed if needed.

The only thing I would have done differently is started with the additional lighting I added later on.

Lets not forget to mention too that the size of the screen is not only depicted by the size of your tank but also with the quantity/size of the inhabitants inside it. Thats why even though my tank is 300g i made it to support 360. So as my fish population grows or whatever, i can be guaranteed that i have enough surface area to handle the job and to grow with the conditions of my tank.

Floyd Turbo, that is a very nice scrubber you built.

What is the inside width?
You get 3D growth, right?
Is the aluminum angle heat sink all you need to keep your rig cool? No fans?
Really nice looking scrubber!

Please let me also just reiterate this:

Let's keep the Skimmer vs. Scrubber comments to a minimum as past threads show that this creates hostile posts. For this thread let's discuss the algae scrubber as a guild to building and maintaining them. Once the general public knows how to build/keep them and it becomes common knowledge. We can leave it to others threads to compare them.

You can certainly get a taste of the hostility toward ATS that is out there in the first page of the thread I linked to above. In the past there have been lots of threads that have taken a really bad turn for the worse because of this disagreement.

So yes, let's be sure to keep the "which is better" politics out of this thread.

Great thread! With great info!
One thing I don't understand, is every time there is an algae scrubber thread, question or conversation there is a Skimmer vs. Scrubber brought up. What I don't understand is why you have to have one with out the other. I know some people want to eliminate their skimmers because it takes a lot of natural food from the water column. Aside from that why not run both? Me personally, I will always run a skimmer. However, I see no reason why I can't add an algae scrubber as well. It's only going to help export nutrients and grow pods.

Glad it's been stickied, cant wait...

I did a my fair share of begging to get a subforum created for scrubbers, however the forum admins feel RC is segmented enough. So Larry promised me a sticky and here it is... ;)
A real step in the right direction for algae scrubbers!

I have a skimmer vs. scrubber question...LOL

My scrubber is on day 3 with a skimmer running. Scrubber screen is white as a ghost. Scrubber site said I should see something by day 3.

Is the skimmer running preventing algae from growing on my screen? Or am I being impatient? It's like watching grass grow over here:)

Edit: my set-up again:

40 BR, ATS lit on ONE side, so I did 8" W x 12" long = 96 squareinches
2 26W CFLs in a dome reflector, 4-5" from surface = 52 W