Algae scrubber what watt?

Duzzy73

Hi

building an acrylic algae turf scrubber and was wondering if 2 x 600w led grow lights would be enough? They’re 310mm x 210mm in size and 6000k is that enough to grow algae?

Duzzy

That's still quite a lot. I'd be curious what wattage it actually drawa. Also, does it have a dimmer?

That's still quite a lot. I'd be curious what wattage it actually drawa. Also, does it have a dimmer?
No but in the past I’ve used black tape to reduce it. Its roughly the same as the Clearwater(I think) ats, if it’s too much I’ll replace them with some usb ones

My experience is the quoted wattage is not the wattage actually drawn. Little marketing misleading white lies. I'll see the wattage of the fixture listed by adding up all the wattage each LED can support. Like 5x 3watt LED fixture listed as a 15 watt fixture. But then the driver that comes with it will only push it like 6 watts.

Not s
My experience is the quoted wattage is not the wattage actually drawn. Little marketing misleading white lies. I'll see the wattage of the fixture listed by adding up all the wattage each LED can support. Like 5x 3watt LED fixture listed as a 15 watt fixture. But then the driver that comes with it will only push it like 6 watts.
Unsure how to work that out

I’m trying to figure out how many watts myself
What size screen? I currently have 23watts split between two sides on two different scrubbers of about 90-100 sq inches.

It's going to be a dial in thing too. Start lower to get started then ramp up over time. The screen will tell you if you've gone to much. It will go brown or yellow

Like this screen I over saturated.
IMG_20231007_103040733.jpg

What size screen? I currently have 23watts split between two sides on two different scrubbers of about 90-100 sq inches.

It's going to be a dial in thing too. Start lower to get started then ramp up over time. The screen will tell you if you've gone to much. It will go brown or yellow

Like this screen I over saturated.
View attachment 32394122
When you say start lower you mean hour wise or dimmable lights

When you say start lower you mean hour wise or dimmable lights
Could be both. Say 14 hours to start with.

With my latest scrubber start ups I just went straight to 20 hours a day with both. Which is what I normally run at. Some people I've seen run 24 hours a day. I've also seen references that algae "breaths". Producing oxygen with lights on and releasing CO2 when lights out. Either way I have been good with 20 hour run times.

When I say lower I'm mostly talking intensity of the lighting so as to not over saturated it and never get going. On one of my scrubber I started with 18 watts and so far holding at 23 watts. That screen is about 10x10 but not all of it is hit with light. Maybe 9x10 of it is. That kicked off well. My other scrubber I started at a higher intensity and you can see the result where the direct lighting is over saturated and yellow with other types of growth and the indirect edges are green.

I tuned it down to the current 23 watts and this was the result on the next harvest of that same screen. It's about 90 square inches I think. Just longer but shorter then my other scrubber.
IMG_20231028_085747278.jpg

IMG_20231028_090829283_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
And you can see the progress of both of my current ATSs from start to current here in my long running new member thread lol

Back