Algae scrubber

Rainer Feyer

Premium Member
I have seen some very intersting forums on the re-visited idea of algae scrubbers; most specifically, a vertical version of them.

Since I frequently like to 'play' with new ideas, I am currently playing with this as well. Have done most of the research and work; maybe 1 week it could be in production.

Does anyone else have experience?

horizontal set up i am currently using ...im extreamly interested in the vertical version as it does force all h2o to pass thru algae verus around. have great success with algae scrubbing for years. keep me updated rainer! me and paul are very interested in your results

Great David!

I have been taking daily pictures of the screen and have done a video of the scrubber itself.

Another interesting project: I bought a $35.00 heat strip, made a Acrylic bending 'gadget' and it works like a charm - bending 1/4 plastic with the clearest seam!

As for the two shrimp - I think someone in my tank had them for lunch :( Better luck next time

It was good talking to you!

thats too bad...and its was good to talk to...keep me updated on these projects! im always interested.

I have a vertical design that has been running for several months and I am very happy with it. It is a new tank and had hair algae like no tomorrow, but that is now gone.

I'll make a build thread on a searchable site and post a link here for you.

Here's a picture of my scrubber. It is a 30g tank plumbed for silent operation with a 10g sump.

181270green_algae_in_its_awsomeness.jpg

Nice job!

Nice job!

Chompers,

nice job! Glad to see that these are really working - I am almost at the end of the second week and already have good algae groth. I will try to post a picture this weekend! Have decent green algae starting to grow

Can I ask you how much flow you have going down?

My vertical is two screens, doubled, 5" wide and 12" tall, 1" submerged in water (bottom portion). I run this at about 400 flow - but the run off is pretty noisy! I am going to install a flow regulator (simple valve) but don't want to ruin the effectiveness of the scrubber.

Any info would be great!

My flow is somewhere between 150-200gph. The flow is regulated by the slot and any excess goes up the T fitting to the left of the scrubber and down through the pipe behind it.

Ah - there goes my increased noise:

sounds like I have toooo much flow going thorugh. I like your idea about excess overflow!

Rainer

I am happy to say that the horizontal scrubber is working excellent! Have almost abolished the algae and most Cyano.

And, have not been using a PS in 2.5 weeks!

Only problem: the vertical version is space consuming and awkward to clean ( my version anyways). So, I am adding a horizontal one which will probably replace the vertical at some point!

Rainer

I have to say algae hasn't been an issue with my Reef. I moved almost 4 months ago into my 1st house ;) My pond sump is running with only a skimmer for filtration. No carbon, no filter media, no UV, no Fuge and no phosban reactor.

The tank is currently LPS dominated with some SPS.. It use to be the other way around. There are no odors. I have done only one water change since the move. I'd say 35%! I am completely amazed on how well this system is thriving. I have had several Reef systems with every kind of filtration imaginable. This is by far the lowest maintenance tank I have owned other then my Aquapod. lol

Hey Lakeside,

amazing, isn't it? We used to 'clean' our systems fanatically with PS's and water changes and carbon etc etc and, turns out, the symplest is still the best! I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance. :)

Also, what type of LPS do you have? I may buy a frag or two depending on what it is,

Rainer

Here are some pictures:

Before Algae Scrubebr: Insane amount of Cyano despite every 2 week 20% water change and PRotein skimmer
2009-08-02-Before%20ATS-lots%20of%20cyano.jpg

Horizontal Algae Scrubber:
2009-10-09-Algae%20Scrubber-horizontal.jpg

After 2 months of Algae scrubber, 6 weeks NO PRotein Skimmer, every 2 weeks 5 gal water change:
2009-10-18-Tank%20after%202%20months%20ATS.JPG

New Prototype: Horizontal Algae Scrubber
2009-10-4-Algae%20Scrubber-Horizontal-layed%20out.JPG

Yeah I was always one to have all the Bells and whistles when it came to filtration. Never would have thought I could go without those such things and have a thriving system with incredible growth.

As for LPS... I have the usual corals but with amazing color. Bright Fluorescent green with amazing bright deep purple Frogspawn, same colors in my Branching Hammer with amazing sweepers.

I have various Shrooms and Zoas. Some Caps and Digitata.

Nice pics!

Rainer any Fire & Ice Zoa's? Always liked yours. I mostly have Pink bubble gums & Eagle Eyes. I'll have to snap some pics. Ughh which means I have to clean the Coraline off my glass! lol Been slacking in that department for awhile.

Trying to get ready for winter.

Gotta check

Gotta check

Hey Lakeside,
gotta check - I think I have a patch of Fire and Ice. I have been isolating them as they are soooo invasive - they take over the rocks like crazy (fast growth). If I still have a group, I will give them to you.

If you snag some pics, I may buy a frag or two

Some pics soon after Halide came on. Pics with 14K XM 250w HQI bulb. PC's not on. I have a couple Aiptasia's to whip out. I have been ignoring them since the move.

DSC004972.jpg

DSC004992.jpg

DSC005002.jpg

DSC005012.jpg

DSC005022.jpg

DSC005032.jpg

DSC005042.jpg

DSC004962.jpg

*** Hammer coral colors are off. Looking kind of brown to me. Its usually a bright metallic green with purple tips. SG is alittle high. Topping off now.

hey yo,

the hammer looks pretty decent! If we are ever in each other's area in the near future, I'd love to trade for a piece or buy a frag! Never had a hammer, actually.
Like your rock formation! Is it DIY?

The Rock is a mixture of Tonga Branch, Fiji and Deep water Tongan. The branch makes it easier to build upon. Also allows good flow through out the tank. I'd take a full tank pic but my Coraline growth is insane! I'd have to show you pics of the tank before I took it down and moved it. The Aquascape was alot better. I was in a hurry and never really aquascaped the tank right. Was a cloud from the move. Alot of the rock is in my sump.

Rainer we can trade something. The Anchor is very nice. I'll try and get a better pic. Its bright metallic usually.

I have been trying to find a New/used tank setiup. I don't get to enjoy my tank anymore due to it being a corner setup. No useable corners in the common areas of the house. :( Looking for a 120 4x2x2 or possibly a 90 or 110 gal. Been surfing the classifieds for a deal.

I can check with jeremy, a local reefer, he recently took down a larger tank - will see if he still has it or if it is sold!
Were are you nowadays, Cohoes was it last?

Back