Algae

Jetersyanks

I keep getting algae no matter what I do water changes .. Changed gfo and carbon cut down on my lights skimmer is running parameters are perfect ... It's brown and look like slime ... I used chemi clean also in out of options here

Still a young tank your going to go through algae blooms, try a CUC turbo snails, and such, Do a search on teh forum, for CUC

CUC is not always the answer to algae problems. Especially if it's red slime. We need to know your parameters, lighting and feeding schedule. 1 question, can you blow it off with a baster? And if so, did it come off in chunks? Pic would help too.

Last edited:
How many fish?
What is your feeding schedule?
What do you feed?
Tank size?
What is your circulation?
What are you parameters?
Do you use RO/DI water?

Sorry, for all the question, but they will give everyone a good starting point.

CUC is not always the answer to algae problems. Especially if it's red slime. We need to know your parameters, lighting and feeding schedule. 1 question, can you blow it off with a baster? And if so, did it come off in chunks? Pic would help too.

Sorry I wasn't trying to say that was the only option

Everything is testing 0 amonia nitrite nitrate ph is at 8.3 I feed them PE mysis cycopzees and sometimes brine ... I feed once a day but I do very little one day and a little more the next ... It's 125 gallon tank 60 gallon sump ... I have 2 jebao wave makers .. Yes I use rodi tds is 0.11 going in and 0 coming out .... I have 6 fish ... And yes it comes right off with a turkey Baster sometimes in small chunks I swear I clean it off it comes right back ....

How are you measuring nitrates and what is your phosphate level? Did you notice any nitrate at all during your first four months?

It could be that the algae is absorbing your nitrates/phosphates and masking your true values.

So, first I would back off on the feeding. Not sure what fish you have, but unless you have fish that require multiple feedings, most do not require daily feeding.

Next, I would vacuum your rock during a water change.

Finally, Are you using the WP-40? How long has it been since you cleaned them? They lose circulation power if not cleaned on a good schedule.

Not knowing your too much about your clean crew, it sounds like part of the food and detritus is falling onto the rock which is feeding the cyano and algae. I'm not to keen on the use of Chemi Clean...it may solve in the problem short-term, but the problem still exists.

This won't happen

That's awesome, thank you. I've just read on here that this stuff can take over a tank really fast, and read another story about the algae getting into someones plumbing then clogging the pipe which inevitably led to an overflow. I have a drilled tank myself, and am a few months away from beginning so just learning what I can.

Last edited:
Back