algea problem

aznnutty

this may seem like a newbie question but i never delt with this before. i have this green algea that collects on the glass every day! its not the tough hard algea or hairy kind, its the very thin blanket that gets cloudy when you move the magnet over it. not sure what's causing it. yes its right infront of a window but the blines are covering the sunlight and the old 20g was in the same spot without the problem. everyday i clean it and over night like magic theres a nother blanket of it. no cleaner crew can handle this fast growth.

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

tubbs and jokers being grown out for the fragswap. not a good pic of the jokers but they are nice
IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you like growing aptasias too :). I would invest in some zebra turbo snail, or mexican turbos. They should do a good job in taking care of that algae. You will still need to clean the glass, but it won't grow back as fast.

omg, its over night! i have a mexican turbo with a few others but it grows like no other!! i'm trying to see if maybe theres to much nutrience in the water or something. it is a new tank so maybe. what i think i can do is do a before and after shot over night so you guys can see

more snails, 1 per gallon. i have at least 40 in my 40 long and feed every day yet i only scrape algae 1 or 2 times a week

i would need a snail per square inch to get it clean, because it's a DAILY THING! i think it is the lights. i had main lights running at night but because of the natural sunlight, it seems to be too much light. i'll change the light setting and let you guys know. anyone looking for a lion fish by any chance?? i think he did eat fishbait oo a a

I was just going to say something about that light from the window. I had a freshwater tank setup by a window and had bad problems due the extra sunlight, same type of algae. Try and cover the back to see if that helps.

yeah, but i think its running my main light at night combined with the light during the day. the 20g had no problems when i ran it during the day infront of that window

its the sunlight try to paint the back of it or put a black backround that should help mine did the same thing with the sunlight hope it works for u.

you did say it was a new tank, maybe too much bioload too fast. Do you have an rodi? I'd dare say there is a fair amount of phosphate in there. How often do you feed? I see canned fish food on top of the light. That can add phosphates fast to the tank. What kind of filtration is on there? Is the skimmer pulling anything? There is alot that can cause algea.

lol, canned fish food, thats funny. my girly left it there. i feed like once or twice a day. there maybe phosphates. half of the water came out of the tap but declorinatied. yeah yeah i know use ro water. i dont have an ro unit at her house yet. there are way too many variables at the moment. thanks for all of the help but let me knock out one variable at a time. thanks alot guys/gals

frost i can make ro/di for you bring over some containers or i have 2 5 gallon jugs you can borrow. I used tap water 1 time and my tank was covered with algae the next day not to mention the other issues already addressed. BTW zoa frags look great

Back