alk of 10... Why change?

Jah2707

So my tank has looked good so I haven't really tested like I should. I finally decided I am going to test weekly for a while to see what the stats look like.

The first test was alk and it is at 10... I know it isn't crazy high but what is the main reason I should try to get it to 8.4? My calcium was also a bit low 400-410 range.

I have been using Kalkwasser in my ATO so that is the reason for high alk. I am nearly at full saturation because I have been trying to keep my calcium up. Because my tank didn't show any signs I slacked off on testing and now I am on the higher side of safe.

Here is a pic of the tank.
15c1b2159a966ef79f0760824d420ec8.jpg

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Nice tank what lights are you using? My ALK is 11 and calcium 440 and corals are growing nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alkalinity at 10 dKH is fine. Anywhere in the 7-11 dKH range seems to work well in most tanks. As long as the animals are doing well, I wouldn't worry too much.

If all is looking good I wouldn't worry chasing numbers for the sake of it May ruin what you have.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that alk at all, as long as the nutrients are there to help support the corals at a higher growth rate all will be well. I just read something the other day talking about alk in relation to ph in a reef tank and they explained that the 8.4 is ideal because it helps over come the struggle corals have with calcification at the typically lower ph of marine aquariums. It also was saying that although you get increased growth with highet nutrient higher alk tanks the calcium structure of the coral is more brittle and not as robust

Back