Alkalinity adjustmenting w/ Ca and kalk Rx's

gregr

Chemistry and math I'm terrible at... I want to gradually lower the alkalinity in my tank but would appreciate the advice on the best way to do it. There's a calcium reactor running about a bubble per second/40ml per minute- that keeps the effluent pH right around 6.5. There's also a kalkwasser reactor that's fed by the ATO so kalk-saturated RO/DI water is about 75% of the daily top-off. The other 25% is straight RO/DI water. The tank pH is very stable at 8.1ish in the morning to 8.3ish at the end of the day.
Alkalinity had been very consistently in the 9.5 range for about 18 months but I've been so busy with work lately I- haven't been on top of things as well as I should. Just tested the water and the alkalinity crept up to 10.3, Ca still solid at 430, magnesium ran a little high at 1420 (just made an adjustment for that with my controller).
I figure the simplest way to lower the alk is to reduce the kalk part of the top-off but I have no idea how much. Another worry is that if I lower the amount of kalk-saturated water the tank gets the pH will come down and I want to avoid that.
Thanks!

Back