Alternatives to Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock?

SkullV

They Got My Number
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good alternatives for Tampa Bay Saltwater liverock?

I am very interested in some rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater but just want 5-10 lbs to further seed my tank that was started with dry rock. I have some very nice live rock in the system that I have had in my reef tank systems for about 7 years now but it was all locally sourced liverock from Chicago and didn't come with a whole lot of interesting microfauna/sponge/etc.

I'm hoping to add some biodiversity to the tank with some freshly harvested rock but can't justify the nearly $200 that TBS wants for 10lbs of rock shipped to my local airport. Anyone out there have a good alternative?

Little info

Little info

We ship the rock underwater via air freight so it arrives alive to you usually same day.

Rock that is sent fed ex is shipped dry....takes days to get there and will be in terrible shape when it arrives, especially in this heat. Will require curing, quarantine and weeks of coming back to life. Defeats the whole purpose of live rock.

Is why we ship it via air freight same day to you under water. Happy rock that you unpack and add to your system that is alive full of life and will cause no issues.

And 10# of rock shipped correctly under water and via air freight out your way will cost about $130.00......

:spin3:

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good alternatives for Tampa Bay Saltwater liverock?

I am very interested in some rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater but just want 5-10 lbs to further seed my tank that was started with dry rock. I have some very nice live rock in the system that I have had in my reef tank systems for about 7 years now but it was all locally sourced liverock from Chicago and didn't come with a whole lot of interesting microfauna/sponge/etc.

I'm hoping to add some biodiversity to the tank with some freshly harvested rock but can't justify the nearly $200 that TBS wants for 10lbs of rock shipped to my local airport. Anyone out there have a good alternative?

I've ordered a fairly small batch of rock from TBS -I can tell you that most of the life that was on the rock would not have survived an overnight trip with fedex or UPS.

The expense of shipping and receiving same day are well worth it IMO.

I've ordered a fairly small batch of rock from TBS -I can tell you that most of the life that was on the rock would not have survived an overnight trip with fedex or UPS.

The expense of shipping and receiving same day are well worth it IMO.

Exactly.....is why we only ship live rock the correct way, underwater and via air freight.

If you ship real live rock any other way, you are not receiving live rock, you are getting rock that is dead and dying, not something you want to add to your tank without issues.

You can't take rock out of the ocean, wrap it in some wet newspaper, put it into a box and send it across the country on some trucks, days in transit , if you could we would have been doing that for the last thirty years.

There is a right way.....and other wise.......I always opt for the right way to ship live rock....as I care about the quality and how my customers will benefit from a quality live rock, not the quantity I could sell if I was to compromise the process to save a few bucks on shipping. :spin3:

Do yourself a favor order from TBS. I got an order from them this week. Pretty blown anyway by the live rock quality and all the extras critters, sponges, gorgonians on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 On TBS. The extra expense is worth it. If you have a local reef club find someone that would like to add run their tank and go in with them.

Another option is to order some extras like hermit crabs, serpent stars, etc on you TBS order. Makes the shipping cost more worthwhile since you will be reviewing a box either way.

You do not want packed in wet newspaper unless you intend to order dying rock that will need to be cycled. Might as well just get local if you are going that route.

Here is a picture of what a 13+ year old TBS tank looks like. Without the 150 to 200lbs of TBS rock this tank would not thrive with the very low amount of maintenance I do. Water change every 2-3 months of only 20 gallons of water. Nothing else done to tank. I don't even feed the fish. They live off what the rock and ecosystem that is present produces. I have a 10 + year old black ocellaris clown that thrives.

36110367691_0b13dbb19f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back