Always be ready to QT from everyone

I'll take this opportunity to ask for your expertise on setting up a QT tank on the fly. As you guys know, most of us don't have a setup like the one Roger has, which almost requires having a QT always running. Therefore, we would need to setup one on the fly when we buy some corals or fish on an impulse.

How can one set something that will work and not kill the new Coral or fish?

I'm thinking you could start with a small tank empty and clean. Then maybe a hob filter and LED light, but I think the biggest concern for me would be bacteria and making sure the QT tank doesn't cycle while the corals and fish are in there.

What do you guys recommend?

A small tank with appropriately sized HOB filter, hang the filter on your sump and run for a few weeks after that take the sponge or biowheel out and keep viable in your sump. Now you have a filter/QT ready for when ever you need.

Ok so here's the deal. By now most have figured out that the corals I purchased was from BobbyV. I have purchased and traded with bobby for years with no issues. I got a call from bobby today. He has since apologized said he had no idea how bad this pest was and he has refunded me via PayPal. Bobby will restart this tank clean and I will purchase from him in the future. He has made this deal right by me.

Reminder this thread was not ment to call anyone out. It was ment as a reminder and still is. Dipping is not enough qt all corals you purchase from anyone.

Thx bobby for doing right by me.

Cool guy. I'm glad things got straightened out and Bobby can figure out this issues and eradicate these things from his tank. I'm happy for the reminder either way. I needed a reminder to start a QT and the idea of the HOB filter on my display to capture bacteria is really good.

Thank you all!

Qt

Qt

Well done Bobby. Roger happy you stuck with the point of the importance of qt. Dips is 1 of many measures one should take. Even qt alone is not %100 effective as coral can look healthy. Although I have a qt tank for fish and small one for coral. I will make sure to incorporate into new setup a permanent coral qt.

Ok so here's the deal. By now most have figured out that the corals I purchased was from BobbyV. I have purchased and traded with bobby for years with no issues. I got a call from bobby today. He has since apologized said he had no idea how bad this pest was and he has refunded me via PayPal. Bobby will restart this tank clean and I will purchase from him in the future. He has made this deal right by me.

Reminder this thread was not ment to call anyone out. It was ment as a reminder and still is. Dipping is not enough qt all corals you purchase from anyone.

Thx bobby for doing right by me.

So, whats the best method for say if i have a 4 foot extra t5 fixture could i use two seperate 5 gallon buckets so as to add corals at two separate times and not have to resart the 72 day fallow period? And the fixture can light both buckets at once. Also, if I place several spare pieces of media, say filter floss stored in between baffles would removing those and placing one each into the qt buckets be sufficient? Would that be able to handle a small bio load for qt a clean up crew?

Back