An observation of zoanthid behavior.

by the way

by the way

While I mistook some cyclopeeze (spelling?) for eggs in another thread (newbie pain ouch!), two things that may be of relevance to this thread are the following:

1. This spawning timing (early June) matches the timing of many zoanthids' spawning in the northern hemisphere (June, July, August).
2. Spawning is usually just before or after a full moon in summer (+/- 3 days), and the full moon is on June 11 this month.

In other words twon, ur Zoanthus have perfect timing.

anthony, do you have moon lights on your tank? i cant remember if you did or not.

jreimer, it has been documented, that some people who install moon lights on their tank (they are essentially small blue LED lights that come on at night), have been known to get clown fish to spawn on regular cycles. and anthony's clown fish have definitely spawned a couple of times.

some people even have timers that all the moon lights to be dimmed and brightened over the period of a month, which would replicate a full moon versus a half moon.

anthony, do you think your tank temp has increased a degree or two since the warm weather started? thats the only way i could see how the zoas would 'know" its time to spawn.

yes, i do have moonlights, with the dimmer cycle, but i have them set on highest brightness rather than cycling

and at the time of the spawning of the dragon eyes, my windows were open and the tank temp was staying on the high side, 82+, at least on the hot days. now if i can only recreate the circumstances and capture some eggs.

It is def conceivable that moonlights on full plus a bit of warming could trigger spawning - there may also be other factors in play that we haven't discovered yet, but for now, I would think your best bet would be to recreate the same conditions around the next full moon and be ready!! Some zoanthids on reefs spawn over a two or three month period...

Wow - let us know what happens!!!

j.

Short side track here... my gsp spawned on 3-4 occasions in the fall of last year when other people were reporting coral spawn. I posted in a few threads here, but haven't been able to find them.

Lighting for my tank had been very irregular. I'm guessing moon phase and gravitational effects being a cue :)

Here's a couple pics

pinkstuff.jpg

pinkstuffcloseup.jpg

Back