Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy Reef Project

agassiprepreef

Hello,

My name is Thai, and I am posting to let the local community know about the reef project that has been initiated at the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy in the heart of Las Vegas.

I am a physics teacher at AACPA, but I'm a reef-aholic any other time of day. I've been keeping reefs here in Vegas since '99 but took a break from the hobby since '06. I used to be a very active member of the Vegas reefing public, as well as on RC, previous to the break. However, it seems so much has changed in the LFSs as I noticed a lot of new faces.

Since teaching at AACPA, the biology department head and I have gotten together to make it possible to house a reef aquarium in the school. We feel a reef aquarium is a tremendous learning tool for the biology department. The interest this unique display will generate can be nurtured and molded to give classes passing through the school a renewed respect for science. We are also the only institution in Nevada to house any reef "exhibit". This reef fits this school's mantra quite well as we are bringing an underwater experience to underpriveledged students who have never seen these reef sights, and may never.

I have already had the pleasure of meeting some of you in my recent trips throughout Vegas' LFSs, both newer and established. I thank you kindly for the support already given to us including some equipment and supplies to begin the reef project.

On to some stats of the reef at AACPA. It is a 48" 60 gallon with a 40 gallon sump housing a refugium. We are running a Euroreef + Sedra 9000 needle wheel. It is lit by two 175W 10K Ushios. We've got 80 pounds of aragonite size 1-2 on the way, and about 60 pounds of live rock after that. We will be filling the tank tomorrow from the RO/DI unit. The reef will have a minimum emphasis on fish as we are pushing for as pure of a reef environment as possible with little polluters. Depending on the level of dedication and support this project inspires (funding & time), we may switch the emphasis of this reef to small stonies with a huge upgrade in lighting.

Although we have reached many of our goals to start up the reef, thanks to some of you in the community, we are always open to donations of frags, supplies, and funding down the road. If you have something laying around and feel you would like to donate it to a good cause, please keep us at AACPA in mind. We are a school setting, so we all know what that funding crunch is like. ;) Some members have already donated a few buckets of salt, discounts towards a skimmer pump, and halide bulbs. Thank you again.

Anyway, I hope to meet more of you guys at the monthly LVVR meetings! I'll keep you guys posted regarding the development of the aquarium as time passes if there is interest. I hope you all are as excited as I am to take these reef aquariums out of the privacy of our homes and display them for the public for educationial enrichment!

-Thai
www.agassiprep.net

Back