Glass top/Hood/Mesh?

I have a 65 gallon tall old school box tank. Before we moved, it was a reef setup (few years ago) I'm about to start up again. My question is the top of the tank. Obviously no top would be preferred. However, we have a cat that likes to go fishing. Are there mesh type tops that could withstand some weight? Would a glass top be better? If so what about the light?
Let me know your thoughts

I wouldn’t use a glass top, it will restrict light and reduce gas exchange. There are screen type tops (I don’t have personal experience with these) that are more to keep fish from jumping out. I believe @reefing102 may use such a top.

The main issue with a glass top is gas exchange usually. As long as the glass is kept clean, it’s been found (not a scientific study just anecdotal par measurements) with LEDs (not sure about other light) that there’s minimal par loss (<20 par usually).

On my 65, I use egg crate and on my wife’s 32 gallon I use a Kraken lid. I would not trust the Kraken lid to support the weight of a cat.

The eggcrate might support the cat, but I’d probably try to reinforce it every 6 inches or so with maybe 1/2inch acrylic rods just to be safe (just thinking out loud, not sure how successful this may or may not be)

Also many glass tops have that plastic bend in the middle, depending on cat weight, that may give way sooner vs later.

Back