Anemone Compatibility and Amount

demariners

Work In Progress
I currently have 2 rose tip anemones. I am interested in getting a couple more anemones in my reef. Is there any anemones that do not get along with eachotheer or corals or fish? These have been doing well and do not bother my fish or corals currently. Is there a limit per say on a small tank how many anemones I should have? I have always wanted a seahorse but I am told it is not a good idea with anemones. Thank you.

Sebaes (H. Crispa) are good tank mates, but not very small. Carpets are massive, and the S. Haddoni carpet is typically a fish eater. Maxi minis are an excellent choice, but rarely will eat small or slow things that get too close. Any anemone that gets near a coral will burn/kill it. Oh yea, and Haddoni with BTAs almost never works out.

I have mixed species in the past successfully, but it comes w/ risk.
What size tank?
Might also want to check nem FAQ sticky for species requirements as they all have different needs.

Its a 55 ga Corner bow tank. I am probably going to keep one anemone, and maybe get a couple more but i am curious what I can do with them. Meaning what is compatible with anemones typically?

I have 6 maxi minis with 4 rbtas and there isn't any chemical warfare that I can discern. Everyone gets along fine. My maxi minis have enjoyed a couple of my fighting conch snails who wandered too close but otherwise they have been fine for over a year. Also, my brittle star strayed too close to a maxi, got stuck and pulled two of its arms off.

In that size of tank having numerous nems there isn't a whole lot more you can add that doesn't get stung, so you might as well go nem specific IMO, which does look really nice.
The only thing that comes to mind that could deal w/ touching nems w/out showing stress may be zenia, and even that might wither where it gets touched.
3-4 BTA's will be wall to wall nem in that tank when fully grown.

Back