anemone disappeared?

Sooner

OK...two weeks ago I purchased a nice looking bubble tip anemone and a mated pair of maroon clowns. The anemone has looked good since I put it in the aquarium. It had moved to the back of the tank the first week basically. It was in view, and kind of in the shade. However, after the first week it moved itself forward and into the light better. Since the second day the female maroon clown has been just basking in the anemone.
My tank is at the office and I was up there yesterday (Sunday) and everything looked great. The anemone looked in good sorts and my clown was just nestle dup in there. Today, I went into the office and the tanks water was a little murky and I couldn't see the anemone anywhere. I moved a couple of rocks around and have looked long and hard and I don't see it anywhere. It seems there are some little fleshy pieces that are around the tank, but not much and I'm afraid that my anemone disintegrated. I didn't realize it could go that quickly.

The only thing I did as a change in the tank was to add a little top-off water, feed some frozen brine and add some marine snow, and put in some Kent Superbuffer. All of this I have done since I purchased the anemone and nothing had happened then.
Is it possible for an anemone to go from looking good to being totally gone with absolutley no trace that quickly? Any ideas?

If it is gone....what might have caused it?

What do I need to guard against in polluting the water - I know you should get the carcass out, but there isn't one - meaning I've polluted the water.

The anemone was about 6-7" across when nicely full.

I'm just clueless! In my 4 years of this hobby, I've tried 3 different anemones before and I've just not been very successful. I was really excited because this one was doing soooo well! or so it seemed. :(

Are you clowns looking in a certain area, look there.

It is possible that your anemone has also split, making it harder to find since you will now have two smaller anemones to look for.

Well, my female clown (the only one that was nestling up with the anemone) was hanging around a rock and I really looked around there but could not see a thing. I even moved some of those rocks around.

I was just under the impression that an anmeone would not likely split that fast after being put in a tank. - am I wrong?

I had a rose anemone split after one week in my tank. It is possible that it is now hiding under a rock that was close to the original spot.

Yes, I checked all power head and filter inlets and didn't see a thing - no sign of my anemone yet!

I to had a RBTA split asap. I found 1 part stuck to the intake screen of my closed loop. This left lil pieces all over. Not sure if the RBTA got sucked to the screen and split or if the spliting was first. But both happend. So i would consider either a power head or a split. BUt you should still find somthing. They will come back out for light if its alive. And i would also think the clown would find it and stay with it. So if your clown is by himself might not be a good sign.

How's the rest of the tank look? When my anenome wandered into a powerhead the entire tank (mainly corals) looked miserable and the water was cloudy (ammonia and toxins)

What does your ammonia test at?

Back