Anemone ID Needed

Rollins4Miles

I recently purchased this anemone. It was labeled as a Maroon anemone, which, from my probably outdated understanding, is a Magnifica. It doesn't act like the Mag I had once before. This one immediately started crawling to the bottom of the tank, and after a day in the back right corner, eventually settled in a semi-shaded area in the bottom center. When I bought the anemone the base was a very vibrant red with a brown disc and tentacles. Now the entire anemone is a light purple color with the base getting slighter darker every day. I'm at a bit of a loss for the moment. Any help IDing this guy would be great.

The first picture is when the anemone was first placed into the tank.

The base of the anemone is stretched about 4-6 inches from underneath the rock. You can see the stretch in the last picture posted.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (3) copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender (3) copy.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4562.jpg
    IMG_4562.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4559.jpg
    IMG_4559.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4565.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4554.jpg
    IMG_4554.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
The first photo looks like a BTA. But the last photo looks like a magnifica. Does it have white lines radiating from the mouth, like sun rays?

The first photo looks like a BTA. But the last photo looks like a magnifica. Does it have white lines radiating from the mouth, like sun rays?

There are streaks (look like stretch marks) throughout the disc, both whitish and darker purple, but there isn't anything that is focused around the mouth. There's probably more streaks towards the outer area of the disc. I'll try and remember to bring my viewing box into the office tomorrow so I can take a top-down picture.

If it helps in the IDing, this nem ate a molly (it wasn't the strongest fish) a few weeks ago and killed a juvi flame angel earlier this week.

EDIT: I found some pics of my old Mag from many moons ago. The disc on the new nem looks nearly identical to the old Mag, and the tentacles are also similar, but I've never heard of a Mag scurrying down to the bottom, anchor on the underside of a rock, and then stretch like this to get light.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3482 copy.jpg
    IMG_3482 copy.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The first anemone look more like a BTA. Magnifica just do not attach to the crevice or side and reach up. They like to attach to the top of the rock.
The last anemone (old picture) is clearly a Magnifica. The Magnifica ID characteristic (100% certain) in the picture below are the tip of the tentacles, specifically the way it bulb up at the end of the tentacles.

attachment.php

If you can take a clear picture of the mouth of the anemone, we can ID it for you.

Back