Angel/Butterfly aggression? Didn't see this coming

A sea K

I never considered any compatability problems between a Emperor Angel and a Copper Band Butterfly. I got my hands on a healthy adult Emperor last weekend and to my surprise he does not much care for the resident Butterfly, nothing too nasty but he gives chase enough that I'm concerned it may be an issue in the long run.
The Angel is about 6" maybe a tad less and the Butterfly is about 4", he has been in the tank since Sunday of last week and still gives chase every opportunity that presents itself. Seems to have gone on long enough that I fear this may be a permanent behaviour pattern.
Did I goof up and this is to be expected? If not the norm then should this not have subsided by now or do I need to give it more time? FWIW, I had a Majestic that was 4.5-5" and none of the other tank inhabitants seemed to mind but I must say EVERYONE gives this guy a wide berth.

IME, adding any adult Pomacanthus, or other large angel, always requires a rearranging of the pecking order. An adult Emperor will usually end up the alpha fish and others fall in line eventually. But the problem I see is the CBB. These fish (IME & IMO) simply don't do well with bullies or even several very active fish. The CBB may, or may not find a comfortable place in the hierarchy---it all depends on the individual fish. The CBB I've had for 5+ years can't handle fish any bigger than dwarf angels and peaceful butterflies. I had one for several years before moving and he was the same way.

I must say I didnt anticipate this as a problem, a mistake on my part thats for sure. My past experience with the Majestic never gave me any idea I would encounter this with the Emperor(this was prior to the CBB addition). I hope they manage to get along as I hate to lose or remove either one.
They will feed together side by side. It's the rest of the time that i see this and at it's worst when the Angel is hungry prior to feeding but I guess that is to be expected.

I've had a lot of angels and my emp was the most PITA of them all. He was a big bully and
was always chasing and sometimes biting my other angels. Once it hates a certain fish, nothing will change its mind. I tried all the tricks, removing fish to the sump, dividing the tank up with eggcrate, etc.

I was very happy to rehome it to my buddy's tank.

I couldnt agree more with everyone regarding emperor angles..they should be the last angel in the tank. I had to put mine in a qt tank for two weeks when i introduced my two scribbled. Funny cause the larger angels, (blueface and french) dont even pay attention to the Scribbed pair. But my emp is the "block bully"!!! I may sell him to a friend and replace with a blueline.

Well thats bad news to hear. I still have to add a couple of smaller tangs(yellow and tomini). Do you guys think this to be a problem as well? If so then I fear the Angel will need to go otherwise I'll give it some more time and see if the Angel and CBB will be able to manage without too much stress.

Back