Another New Guy - Land O Lakes

fodder

Premium Member
Greetings all...

Just wanted to take a moment, say Hi and introduce myself. My name is Ben, and as the title says, I live in Land O Lakes (Concord Station, right by Sunlake High if any of you know the area). I am getting back in the hobby after an absence of about 10 years - a couple of major moves and years spent on the road for work - things seem to be settling a bit and the time was right to rekindle the fire.

I purchased a "new to me" setup - 70 gal Oceanic with roughly 20 gal sump, Euro Reef skimmer (funny, used to be top dog in my first go round, now they don't even exist), about 80 lbs dead (used to be live) rock, UV Sterilizer, combo MH/T5 light kit and other misc. parts. I built the stand (still working on the cabinet door)and made a really cheap light stand as I didn't want to go full canopy because of the heat issues. Got water in the tank and everything up and running in December, tank just finished the cycle last weekend, so I added a few corals from Drysdale Saturday as well as a few new fish.

I'm not sure I'm completely sold on the rock work and aquascaping just yet, I'll probably tinker for a while.

I look forward to joining the club and stepping waaayyy out of my comfort zone by actually going to meetings and meeting some of you. You may see a few PM's from me on any beginner-type frags as I look to start the stocking.

Thanks for reading and here are a few pictures of the setup.

Welcome to the club and back into the hobby. I like you "canopy". Simple, yet functional. It looks modern. Good job.

Welcome! Come check out the meetings for ideas and corals, as well as great opportunities to win equipment and other goodies for your set up!

Like the rock work man!

Thanks for the comments.

For stocking coral, I'm still working that out. The available options are simply so much more incredible than even 10 years ago - the community has done an amazing job with propagation and husbandry. My thoughts now are varied zoas and mushrooms/ricordea in the lower region; something with good movement, but not too invasive, in the middle and I'm drawn to birdsnest and monti cap in the upper portion.

Nice setup so far and glad to see another new guy in the area. I'm new too, and in Wesley Chapel just around the corner. Maybe someday we'll be swapping frags

Welcome to the area! I like your custom light stand. I have some new lights coming and I'm running through ideas on how I am going to mount/hang them. If you are interested in Kenya tree coral let me know. I would be happy to give you some.

Welcome to the neighborhood. A lot of locals on this board. I'm in Land O Lakes as well. Let me know if you ever need anything. I would be happy to help!

Back