R/O Membrane GPH rating shipped 100 when ordered 50

DonJuane

It's hard to find anyone who knows much about R/O filters so I am going to ask you guys. I've been using R/O systems for years and the only part I am confused on is the GPH vs the restriction valve that supposedly has to match the membrane in use. I only use the 50GPH units because they are the cheapest and have installed 10 over the years for friends and family. First time this happened, I am in a time crunch and I ordered 4 x 50GPH last week and today the vendor wrote that they were shipping me 4 x 100GPH as an "upgrade". Won't I have to upgrade the water restrictor to match those 100 GPH or will the one that is in place for 50 GPH working for the 100GPH but just flow at the slower rate? THANKS!

It's hard to find anyone who knows much about R/O filters so I am going to ask you guys. I've been using R/O systems for years and the only part I am confused on is the GPH vs the restriction valve that supposedly has to match the membrane in use. I only use the 50GPH units because they are the cheapest and have installed 10 over the years for friends and family. First time this happened, I am in a time crunch and I ordered 4 x 50GPH last week and today the vendor wrote that they were shipping me 4 x 100GPH as an "upgrade". Won't I have to upgrade the water restrictor to match those 100 GPH or will the one that is in place for 50 GPH working for the 100GPH but just flow at the slower rate? THANKS!
It will still work but your waste to product ratio will decrease meaning more water will be forced into the membrane possibly lowering it's efficiency (higher TDS output) and fouling it sooner, shortening it's life. If you have a booster pump, it could also peg your pressure gauge. Having said that, I left an 18gpd flow restrictor in and changed to a 50gpd membrane and it ran fine for years..

It will still work but your waste to product ratio will decrease meaning more water will be forced into the membrane possibly lowering it's efficiency (higher TDS output) and fouling it sooner, shortening it's life. If you have a booster pump, it could also peg your pressure gauge. Having said that, I left an 18gpd flow restrictor in and changed to a 50gpd membrane and it ran fine for years..
^This.

Back