Another noisy 6105

dangerrrr

Fistrly let me say that I'm not complaining, I'm just after a solution.

I have 2 Tunze 6105's and they have been running for around 3 months in my tank. When i first bought them they were very noisy, with one noticeble louder than the other. After reading a few threads here, i let them "break" in, in the hope they would quieten down. After 3 months they are still making the same amount of noise. Its a loud HUMMMM that i can hear from about 10-20m away. Loud enough that i can hear it upstairs, and my tank is downstairs.

If i take the pump out of the holder and hold it my hand, it makes the same amount of noise. I've also disasembled them a few times and checked that the shaft is properly seated. I have had to put the 15V jumper in and run it at half speed for it to be tolerable, but i need more flow!!!

I live in Australia and purchased the pumps whilst on holiday in asia and I'm pretty sure my local distributer wont touch them, so I'm left with trying to fix them myself. Do you have any other solutions that i can try?

Thanks Roger!

There are a few things you can do, it sounds like you have an older 6105, the new ones use a 45mm prop instead of 42 and use an 18 and 12V jumper instead of 15 and 24, same flow, but they spin slower which reduces noise.

Make sure the rubber feet are on the magnet.

In a couple months we will have a redesigned clamp with a rubber insert to dampen the vibrations.

There are a few things you can do, it sounds like you have an older 6105, the new ones use a 45mm prop instead of 42 and use an 18 and 12V jumper instead of 15 and 24, same flow, but they spin slower which reduces noise.

Make sure the rubber feet are on the magnet.

In a couple months we will have a redesigned clamp with a rubber insert to dampen the vibrations.

Can i purchase the 45mm prop as a spare part and the 18 and 12v jumpers?

Thanks for your reply Roger, you're a ledgend!

Yes, the jumpers are easy, part 6101.243- 18V and 6101.244- 12V. The prop isn't so easy, you can get it and in fact I think for 50Hz it was the same prop used on the old 6080, 6080.120, but we don't have easy access to it in the states as for 60Hz all of our props were one size smaller and we never had a 45mm prop pump, of course a 6105.700 drive unit would have the prop so long as it was newer stock.

Yes, the jumpers are easy, part 6101.243- 18V and 6101.244- 12V. The prop isn't so easy, you can get it and in fact I think for 50Hz it was the same prop used on the old 6080, 6080.120, but we don't have easy access to it in the states as for 60Hz all of our props were one size smaller and we never had a 45mm prop pump, of course a 6105.700 drive unit would have the prop so long as it was newer stock.

So you're saying that for the 50Hz (240V??) that i should have, i can use prop 6080.120? Do the props come off the shafts easily?

Thanks again!

On the DC pumps like 6105, everyone the world over gets the same propeller, on the AC pumps like 6080, a 50Hz pump has a 20% bigger propeller because 50Hz results in 3000rpm and 60Hz results in 3600rpm. I am fairly certain that a 6080 50Hz is a 45mm prop.

Hi Rojer,

I've ordered in some new 6105.700 drive units. I'll let you know how they go!

Thanks again for your help, you could teach a few other compaines a thing or two on PR!!!

Hi Roger,

Well i got the new 6105 drive units in and they were instantly silent!!! However my local distrbutor doesnt stock the 18v jumpers so i have left the 24v in and have turned the white knob down to compensate for this. Do you think this will be ok? Or should i order a 18v jumper in from Germany?

Thanks again Roger!

I would use the 15V jumper for now. The jumper doesn't affect the controller, but the potentiometer can.

Back