Another SPS flow question.

lolgranny

The DQ King
Hey guys

Im wondering if i have too much flow, or if its good enough?

40g breeder, bare bottom. 0 dead spots. 0 debris on the ground.

I have a Mag 9.5 for the return, tuned down about 1/3. A koralia#3 and 2-Koralia#2, and also a pump that puts out 750gph in the back along the bottom.

All the corals have excellent PE, they are constantly in flow but i dont know how to tell if they like it or not :lmao:

The LFS's always seem to have very littttttle flow, and if they do its just one random burst.

Should i take out a Koralia#2? Should i leave it if the PE is good? What are signs that everything is goood?

Congrats on the tank! Sounds great.

How can you tell if the coral are happy?

Lets just say... "if it aint broke...dont fix it"!

Keep on doing what your doing!

I like to think when my SPS have good PE they are happy. I don't know why I think that, but I do.

My polyps are blowing so hard in every direction that sometimes i worry if its too much, but i get excellent polyp extension and coloration. So I guess they're happy. As a matter of fact, I'm actually thinking of putting another mp10 in there.
Check out wwc's 300 gallon youtube video on their website.

You can't really compare your tank to one at a LFS. Very few LFS tanks are actually setup properly for maintaining corals for long periods of time. Mostly they're just short term storage until you get them home. If everything looks good in your tank and you have good color and growth, then don't worry about it!

On my 40B I have 2 K2's a modded MJ600 and a mag 3.5 for my return. Flow is good and my sps are happy with it. I was BB for awhile but always had detritus build up in spots.

I'm running 2-K2 and 1-MP10. In my 40B and all is well. My problem is running out of room. I didn't notice any change between this and when I was running 1-K2 & 1-MP10.

Back