Anthias help

madmike10000

I just got this beautiful scribbled anthias. Great Heath and active at the store then I acclimated him and he went into hiding yesterday and has not come out. Is this normal? The tank has 2 clowns, yellow coris wrasse and 2 cardinal fish so it's a passive tank for the most part. And what do you recommend for food. I have pe mysis. New life spectrum pellets and garlic flakes I will try when he comes out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anthias are funny. And it's unlikely they will take to most of the food you have. They may like the mysis, but as a general rule, they seem to prefer eating food out of the water column. Most anthias need to be fed (if they eat) several times a day. They do better in groups (in my experience) of one male and 2+ females. I really love anthias, and hope to have a blotched in my tank one day. Either one or three, cause sexing those is a bit more difficult. I'd prefer three, but my bank account might object.

Anthias are funny. And it's unlikely they will take to most of the food you have. They may like the mysis, but as a general rule, they seem to prefer eating food out of the water column. Most anthias need to be fed (if they eat) several times a day. They do better in groups (in my experience) of one male and 2+ females. I really love anthias, and hope to have a blotched in my tank one day. Either one or three, cause sexing those is a bit more difficult. I'd prefer three, but my bank account might object.

Is there any particular food that they love I can buy?

Never used cyclop-eze. I might have to try that myself. Depending on the anthia, I've found lyre tails will eat just about everything that's fresh, like mysis, bits of clam (must be tiny) anything that will "float" in the water column. My purple queens, not so much. They seem to only want live copepods and collect them out of the water column. My Dispar anthias were also more finicky, but eventually began eating frozen after a long while.

Assuming by scribbled you mean bimaculatus? Not a particularly hard anthias, and it should eat mysis. Male or female?

Females are less twitchy and easier to acclimate. Just offer varied fare and if its going to eat it will.

IMG_0276.jpg here is a pic of her today

She has been coming out a lot today but when I get close she hides. I don't think she likes me

Back