Anthias ID please...

tjpontz

41604anthias7.jpg

I got this little guy over the weekend, relatively sure he was a lyretail. However, examining more pictures of anthias varieties, I'm completely confused now. :confused: He has a red stripe up the 'aft' edge of his tail that I don't see in other pictures. Like lipstick or a paint stripe.

So any anthias lovers out there can point me in the right direction for an ID?

His body looks like it has a yellow base with a thin purple finish over that, a purple dorsal and the tail is red. Sorry I dont have a better picture.... Closest match is a Yellow Anthias, but the tail is still different.

Yeah, that diesn't sound like a Yellow Anthias. I just purchased one about a week ago, and it is basically yellow all over, with a hint of red on the body. Try a search for Hawaiian Anthias on the web and see if that isn't what he looks like. Sorry, couldn't be of more help.

Thanks for trying. I've been all over the web and found some that are close on fishbase.com, saltwaterfish.com, saltcorner.com but no cigars. None.

Hopefully somebody can chime in soon....

Looks like wrasse instead of an anthias to me. Do you have a picture with the fins opened? Might be Paracheilinus sp.

Last edited:
I will try to get a photo and upload it as soon as I can, however, my camera leaves a lot to be desired....

btw, although i havent seen more than few picture of them, you might want to check Pseudoanthias kashiwae as this looks like it a bit.

I agree not a Bartlett's, but I'm no expert. The tail has a larger red blob on the top and bottom tips, and a stripe that's pretty thin up the edge. The body coloration is a light pinkish with yellow undertones - really hard to describe.

He's not eating much - he ate some meaty stuff earlier but is kind of slowing down now. I hope he's going to be okay.... Meanwhile I"ll try to get a better photo of him.

Back