Anthias question. Help

renato120

I have a 60g cube. I was thinking on get 3 anthias. Is that ok on a 60g?
I see a lot of 60g with them.... I know a tang its a hell no.....
The lfs near my house told me that its fine. He said I either get 1 or 3.
What you guys think?
Thank you.

Depends on the species you select. Some of the smaller ones could work; the bigger ones would not. Though the smaller ones are also trickier to keep. Not sure I recall what LA, for example, says about tank size for Bartletts, but they'd be a good place to start. Or maybe carberryi; I've had pretty good success with them also.

Depends on the species you select. Some of the smaller ones could work; the bigger ones would not. Though the smaller ones are also trickier to keep. Not sure I recall what LA, for example, says about tank size for Bartletts, but they'd be a good place to start. Or maybe carberryi; I've had pretty good success with them also.

I will look for those!
Thank you

Sure, 3 should be fine in a 60g. Ignitus would be another good choice.
You mentioned to me before 1 Anthias would be your recommendation.
75G fish swim room tank, good skimmer and what not.

How many Ignitus Anthias females can I put in with the group below?
I read somewhere the tank should be 75g for one Anthias, and if adding more than one the tank should be another 50g =125g.

1) Purple Firefish
1) Yasha Goby
1) Yellow Watchmen
1) Pistol Shrimp
2) Yellow Corris Wrasse

Otherwise, the plan is fine.

The recommendation for 75g per anthias is really dependant on the species, I personally feel that with the peaceful and smaller species keeping them in a group is best and they dont need a whole lot of space. They are considered active swimmers but you will notice they spend most of theor time "hovering" above the rocks.

Based off of your current stock I would think as many as 5 ignitus would work.

@eatbreakfast
Wow, that's good news.
I picked up one Ignitus all ready, I'm not sure if it's a male or female. Is it possible to add more now that I have one already in the tank? P.S. will that create hostility?

Adding more anthias should be fine. They will create a heirarchy, but adding a few to the established fish will just spread out any aggression.

One main problem with anthias is not size it is filtering. They are planktonic feeders and require lots of feedings to do best.

Also it is one male to several females. The less females the harder the males are on the females.. This require room for the females to get away from the male for a breeder.

Anthias are not easy to keep..

In allot of case they start dieing one by one with he smallest female going first.

Many pseudoanthias species stay quite small, 3 inches or so. These can quite easily be accommodated in a 60 gallon tank. Though they are tough on the filtration, as already noted, because they do need multiple daily feedings (and will often not take pallets or flake foods). The larger species need more space.

I've kept princess, resplendants, randalls, carberryi, igniitus, and probably a few others I'm forgetting in smaller tanks. Lyretails, bimacs, Bartletts and squares grow larger and I always kept them in 180 plus gallon tanks.

ca1ore-you need a 480g tank now

Funny you should say that. I've actually been eyeballing a custom tank 96" x 36"x 30" which works out to be about 450 gallons. Trying to decide if me and my floor are up to the challenge or not.

Back