Any idea what this is?

pbradley0

I've got these long thin strands grown all over my rocks. I'm assuming it's some sort of algae but I've never seen it before. Any idea what it is? It doesn't look like the hair algae I've dealt with with other tanks in the past. Each strand is between 3 and 6 inches long.

eb1b99eae0319ae795fc139890cae40c.jpg

It may not be algae. Looks more like feeding tentacles/web. I'm not sure from the pic. See if you can get some closer shots.

First thought I had as well, feeding tentacles/web versus algae. Closer shots would be beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Here are a few shots. I also pulled several pieces out and took a picture. It appears green which makes me believe that there's a good chance that it's photosynthetic. Your thoughts are appreciated.
ed385130a772740f739aedbb78deb393.jpg
da30920cce9dfe7f18d14264a2d23a1f.jpg
b505e4ba0467aa58236a87d719c1f92b.jpg

Great job getting better pics and pulling some out for a closer look. I'm of no help ID'ing the algae. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That last pic shows it's algae. Kinda looks like threads. It's thread algae. Pretty tough to get the species name. At least you know it's algae.

I like the way it flows in the current, a macro algae trait that is rare. Most (that are available) are too stiff to undulate sexily like that. If it showed up in my tank, I would keep it, but it may not jive with your goals for your tank.

If you want to get rid of it, I'd combine manual, stiff brush removal, outside the tank, then a bunch of Cerith snails to finish it off, inside the tank. They reproduce in your tank, giving a variety of sizes that can get into your rocks' crevices. Other herbivores that might eat it are tangs and urchins, maybe an angel fish. It's so cool to watch a tang forage naturally, in your tank.

Back