Any ideas how to raise your skimmer?

Texanjordan

I have a Eshopps Reef Sump 200, which is 30 inches long. I am running a Super Reef Octopus 2000 which is 13 inches by 9 inches in the sump. In order to run the skimmer at optimal depth, I have it raised. I created a platform with PVC pipe with holes drilled in it. Problem with this is that the skimmer does not sit right on the pipe stand I built, and it is always making very loud vibration noises, and I am always having to adjust it. On top of that, I am always having to adjust the skimmer bubble level because of the constant movement. Any ideas how to raise the skimmer up? The platforms you can buy are not big enough to hold my skimmer. Any ideas are appreciated.

I just built a small one out of acrylic like a table sort of. Worked well for my older skimmer. I have a different sump now and different skimmer but three pieces of acrylic and some weld on and done. I started with just stacked eggcrate for a few months and it worked well on the height issue it just trapped detritus underneath it. You can probably just build a platform out of Eggcrate and zipties Like a box without a bottom and just monitor the crap underneath it .I've seen quite a few guys use sheets of styrofoam but I don't know about having a petroleum based product sitting in the water..

I used egg crate for that exact Skimmer. If I were to do it again, I would have glued some dampening material to both the top of the egg crate and under the legs. Also double up on what you attach the legs with, both super glue and zip ties.

i never thought about using styrofoam, this would work as a damper as well for the vibration, has anyone used this mothod before?

I did look at those stands, heres the problem... I need to raise the skimmer about 2 inches so both models are out of the question. Plus they are not big enough to hold the footprint of the skimmer.

I did look at those stands, heres the problem... I need to raise the skimmer about 2 inches so both models are out of the question. Plus they are not big enough to hold the footprint of the skimmer.

Two inches isn't a lot. Hmm. I needed to raise my skimmer 4 inches so these stands work great for me. Plus i use the Reef Octopus SSS-1000 which has a nice compact footprint. Egg crate ziptied together would work. Styrofoam as a sound dampener would work, but it's natural tendency to float could pose an issue. Now that I think about it though...these stands are two piece held together by 4 screws for adjustment of height. Let me see how tall the top portion is separate. But then again...you said the footprint is too large...damn...

Egg Crate Ziptied together would work, but how do you avoid it catching detrius? Also, where do you buy egg crate and how much is it? With the styrofoam idea, wouldent the weight of the skimmer and the pump, especially when it is full of water, be enought to hold down the styrofoam?

Egg Crate Ziptied together would work, but how do you avoid it catching detrius? Also, where do you buy egg crate and how much is it? With the styrofoam idea, wouldent the weight of the skimmer and the pump, especially when it is full of water, be enought to hold down the styrofoam?

I got mine at Home Depot or something, one large sheet, never need another one again.

Egg crate can be cut to your specifications easily using a simple wire cutting tool or carefully snapped off using needle nose plyers. To help avoid catching detritus you'd have to remove some of the "squares" as you see fit. I think as long as you trim it properly to just cover the footprint of the skimmer this won't be an issue. You can get it at Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes. It's typically referred to as light diffuser panel and found in the back of most lighting sections.
Home Depot has a 4ft x 2ft panel for $13.97. You might want to buy two incase you accidentally break your panel or cut too much.

Egg crate can be cut to your specifications easily using a simple wire cutting tool or carefully snapped off using needle nose plyers. To help avoid catching detritus you'd have to remove some of the "squares" as you see fit. I think as long as you trim it properly to just cover the footprint of the skimmer this won't be an issue. You can get it at Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes. It's typically referred to as light diffuser panel and found in the back of most lighting sections.
Home Depot has a 4ft x 2ft panel for $13.97. You might want to buy two incase you accidentally break your panel or cut too much.

I got 1 like 2 years ago and still have most of it left.

And yes the weight "should" hold it down. Just picture yourself trying to set the skimmer just right on this floating platform while pushing it down praying it doesn't want to pop up lol. I don't think you'll need the styro with this set up.

Thank you all for your assistance, I will buy the egg crate at home depot tonight. Hopefully this will help with the vibration and constant adjustments of both the skimmer and the water level in the skimmer.

Thank you all for your assistance, I will buy the egg crate at home depot tonight. Hopefully this will help with the vibration and constant adjustments of both the skimmer and the water level in the skimmer.

Here's to a successful DIY skimmer stand!
1353083651.jpg

I use 2" PVC pipe cut to the height I need. I use 6 pcs total with a pc of glass and it works perfect. I'm sure plexiglass will work well if glass is not available or even egg crate. $10 investment.

Egg Crate with extra pvc cut to the length you need, then ziptied to the egg crate. I have the Octopus 200 and used 6 "legs".

Mine was ingenious and everyone who sees it says I am a genius.
Suspense over?
I put my skimmer on top of interlocking bio-cubes which collect detritus for a small level of bio filtration. They float so it makes it easier to maneuver your equipment
Now
Kind of on topic does your overflow fall directly towards the in-port of the skimmer? That Sir will kill ALL other

Back